TRI-Idaho
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up just before my alarm, shocker, and got myself going. I had a piece of toast with peanut butter, almost an entire greek yogurt and some water. I packed up my bag that I had packed the night before and got the bike loaded in the truck. Kiss the wife and off I went. I had about a half a cup of coffee on the way into town, couldn't drink it all, and sipped on some more water. About 15 minutes before the swim I ate a mini Cliff bar because my stomach was needing something.
Event warmup:

I did a bit of walking to watch the OLY wave start which was a good 500 yards or so round-trip. Add in the walk back for my swim start and I logged a good 700 yards which helped the nerves a bit. Got in the water early and made a point to swim a bit more then my last Sprint because I seem to take a bit to get into a groove if I don't.
Swim
  • 13m 15s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My plan was to stay to the outside left edge of the pack and take a fairly straight line to the first bouy. Also I really worked hard on not getting out to hard and to swim easy until I found a good rhythm, then start pulling hard. I felt that I did a good job and was really surprised with I would look up to sight and found myself more often then not right on course. I even got a bit of a draft off of a fellow swimmer who seemed to hold the same pace as I for most of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I still feel like I could use a bit more warm-up before the gun. I'm going to have to be in the water much earlier and get some good laps in and see if this helps as much as I think it will. Other then that I felt like I did everything else I'd planned on doing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

So there was a solid 200 yard gap in between the swim exit and T1. I had a nice easy jog to T1, but had issues getting my wetsuit to unzip. Thankfully I had a fellow competitor assist me while we both jogged and I was able to get it down around my waist. Once in transition I was able to get the suit off fairly quickly and socks and shoes went on quickly. I really felt comfortable with what needed to be done and when so things went smoothly.

I could have worked a bit faster, but this wasn't my "A" race so I wasn't trying to burn through it.
Bike
  • 18m 27s
  • 6 miles
  • 19.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I made a goal to hold a 19-20mph pace and I nailed it!! I started off in a good gear and paced myself at the beginning really well. I found a good groove and stayed in it most of the way. I felt like I geared well throughout and pushed the pace at the right times to keep myself moving right along.

Not drop my water bottle with T2 in sight!!! I mean really!!! Geez! I was humming along at 20mph and wanted to take a nice big drink before hoping off the bike, go to put it back in the cage and totally missed it!! I almost didn't turn back around, but I wasn't sure what the ruling on this was so I errored on the side of caution and flipped around to get it. Watched three riders zip by me while doing this!! Oh well, I beat them out of T2 so there's that!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I tried a bit of a flying dismount and didn't eat it so I was happy there. Running off of the bike wasn't so bad even with having pushed it on the bike. I got to T2 early that morning and got a good spot right on the end of the third rack in which helped my transition.

Not too much I could have done much better here other then run faster in and out of transition!!
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

So leaving T2 I had that typical feeling that I was running waaaay too slow! I just remembered telling myself to slow it down a bit because I knew I was running faster then my pace would allow. Also I began to feel a bit of a uncomfortable stomach, maybe air, but it kept me from feeling too comfortable during most of the run. I felt like I did fairly good and kept my head in the right place which allowed me to run my fastest run leg yet!

I need, need, need to get more run training in. I know I could run this faster and I'm not giving myself a fighting chance out there to finish off these races strong. Also I need to start my kick waaaay sooner. I know I have it there and could have started at least two blocks sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

First I low fived a fellow Sprinter who I tried to reel in at the finish line, literally a tenth of a second behind him! Then I found my family and got some love and kudos. Water, choco milk and jumped all over a free 15 minute massage from a local massage school. My stomach began to feel better, gas expelled, and I got some of the typical post race goodies. Nothing special here.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough run training and I think I'm over-breathing during the swim and getting some air in my GI tract. Although the sick stomach feeling this time was the least it has ever been it still affected my run.

Event comments:

This was the second annual running of this race and this was the first year they had a Sprint distance. This group is dedicated and does some good work. I'm hoping to see it grow into something that the city can really use to attract folks into the area. I know there is the 70.3, but I can't imagine the local businesses would argue with more profits!!

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:15 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: The course was a simple out and back set-up with two turns getting you turned back the right direction. There was zero chop other then what the other racers made.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:18:27 | 06 miles | 19.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: City streets with very well controlled intersections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:53 | 03 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Performance: Average
Course: City streets through downtown with about a mile on the greenbelt along the river. Some elevation changes, but nothing too bad.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes