General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Verona, Wisconsin
United States
Race Day Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 43s
Overall Rank = 72/203
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

It was nice to have a race in my backyard for once. Got up early at around 4:45. Had my typical pb bagel and gatorade. Got to transition at about 5:45, setup transition and waited around until the sprint group started at 7. Had a banana at around the first wave and then a Gu before about 10 minutes before my wave start.
Event warmup:

Biked from the parking lot to the swim start.
Swim
  • 30m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

With the announcement of the water temperature during transition setup, I was pretty confident I wasn't going to wear my wetsuit. I've never swam in water above 74 so I really had no idea what to expect, but felt that I would be overly hot. However, when I went to test the water, the water didn't feel that warm so I decided to go with the wetsuit. During the first 500m I thought it was a bad decision as I got hot real quick and felt as though a panic may onset. I was able to calm myself down and swim my race. The loops really made it difficult to get into a rhythm since every 500m we'd be running out of the water. I know I didn't swim my fastest but got through unscathed.
What would you do differently?:

I neglected a lot of swim time during my training. This just shows that I need a lot more OWS practice for me to get comfortable.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

There was a short run to the transition area. Felt good running it the entire way. Started walking in transition to make sure I didn't overrun my rack.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 57s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall the bike felt great. I was familiar with the sprint section of the course, but not the 2 loops portion. I did know that there some good hills that I had to do twice so I pushed pretty good through the flatter sections. I knew that the bike was harder seeing previous averages through the bike being lower than normal olympics. I finished off my bottle of accelerade, took two salt tabs at the beginning and end of the ride as well as had a cliff bar.

Biking is by far the best leg for me so continue to hammer it as best as I can while making sure I leave enough in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Someone racked in my spot so I had to put my bike down the rack. Didn't cost me a lot of time but just annoyed that people can't rack correctly. Had to put socks on. I know I can go faster and need to practice putting stuff on during the run out

Practice practice practice
Run
  • 55m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

When the run started, it was still overcast so I threw my shades into transition. The one hill near the beginning of each loop got me each time. I didn't feel overly tired but didn't want to push it too hard so I walked up the hill each time. I ended up walking through the aid stations as well so I wasn't happy about that. I actually missed my goal time by 18 seconds so I wasn't that far off the pace. Overall though I didn't feel great on the run which concerns me with Door County around the corner. My legs felt heavy by the end of the race.

More bricks. I've run a lot, biked a lot but not done a lot of bricks. Need to prep the body for that feeling. Ironically I felt really good off the bike though once I started hitting any hill my legs felt very tired.
Post race
Warm down:

Met the family and grabbed the free food. Good spread for a smallish race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went into the race hoping to break 2:45. The tough bike course really made it hard for me to hit the time I needed. Just keep on training

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:47 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/203
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: 3 loops, running out of the water each time over a timing mat.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:57 | 25.5 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop style route with 2 loops through the hilliest section of the race.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:18 | 06.21 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-02 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed