World Triathlon Corporation
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 33m 20s
Overall Rank = 1283/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 202/
Pre-race routine:

Found a crack in my new Cervelo frame a week and 1/2 before this race. Cervelo sent a replacement out, but it did not arrive in time, so I set up my old Javelin for this race.

Rented a car and James rode with me. We followed Pat and Ed. I was going to visit wife and kids at summer camp for a week after race.

On way to Muncie on Friday, we heard the distances were going to be changed due to the extreme heat. Mixed emotions, but felt disappointed, but fully understood. I had been saying all week that I was glad I wasn't race director. Decided to still use this race as a practice race for IMLOU. I asked James and Pat (I knew Ed was) if they were "racing" both said "no way" "just a training day."

Packet pick up and racking the bikes went well, although sweated my behind off walking to and from the lake (long run to T1).

Got back to hotel to find our a/c wasn't working. After much sweating, trying a fan, and attempted repairs, we got to switch rooms.

Up at 3am to get to race sight and get good parking. Grape juice (ala Dick Flier), granola bar, banana, and 1/2 bagel with peanut butter for breakfast. Sipped on a Gatorade rest of the morning.
Event warmup:

Pro start was 6:30, my start was scheduled for 7:26. So long wait after getting everything ready. Short swim to be in the water to watch the pro's start.

Asked James one more time before swim line up if we were racing. "Nope"
Swim
  • 34m 14s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

For some reason, my swim seems pretty good right now. Doesn't deserve to be, but I feel comfortable in the water. Started in about the 3rd row on the inside. Was very congested at the start. I wanted to practice swimming for Lou, where I would love to catch some feet. I was swimming next to one guy who couldn't swim straight and had a guy on my right who was matching me stroke for stroke. So I figured instead of swimming next to a guy who is swimming the same speed as me, I might as drop back and grab his feet and put out less effort. Was pretty proud of myself for that one :). Swam confidently. Someone tried to move me off my pacer's feet, but I held my ground (water) and he finally relented. Lost the feet eventually, but did my best to grab onto whatever feet I could find, including the following wave as they came through. Water was very very hot and goggles fogged up. Was hard to sight more than the person in front of me, so relied on them to go the right way.
What would you do differently?:

I'm "ok" with this swim. IF I every decide to dedicate the time to swimming....
Transition 1
  • 06m 59s
Comments:

Planned on taking my time here and making sure I started hydrating (after the hot swim) and set everything up correctly. Took jersey off, put new cool sleeves on without too much trouble, put on new cool beanie, etc. Got bike and headed out.

Nothing, this was practice for LOU. Make sure of everything twice before heading out
Bike
  • 1h 21m 16s
  • 28.84 miles
  • 21.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Head out on the bike and then merge with bikers who are making their second lap. Get going and try to keep my effort level at a LOU effort. This course is fast and I was cruising at 22-26mph at an IMLOU effort, so went with that. All of a sudden I hear a rush of air and Pat goes flying past, mashing his pedals like they were trying to get away. He looked like he was riding a 5 mile TT. Well I guess Pat is racing.

I had an hour of Infinit in the A-2 aerobottle and sipped on that. Took salt cap at :10, :50, and maybe 1:15. Finished the Infinit about 1:10 and refilled with the other bottle I had. Took a bottle of water from the aid station as well.

I concentrated on keeping the effort level steady. I got passed more in this race than any I can remember. Tried to just stay in my box and keep the "paste" out of my mouth. Not what I'm here for. Just ride along, take nutrition, and "push the line."

Finished up the bike and headed into T2

Nada
Transition 2
  • 11m 30s
Comments:

Very slow, but planned. Put vasoline on feet before socks and shoes. Remembered to take gas pill that I forgot in T1. Took my time, then headed out. Got to the end of the row and remembered I wanted to apply vasoline under my arms where either my tri top or cool wings were chafing. So went back to bike spot to do that. Then headed out, but hit the porta potty first. Then headed out and crossed the mat. Went to hit start on the Garmin and it wasn't there. Dropped my stuff, took off my chip (so I wouldn't go back across the mat and screw up my timing), and headed back into transition. After going to my bike, again, and up and down the aisle, I figured I must have dropped it in porta potty. The unit I had been in was now occupied. So I stood outside the row of porta potties that were open, waiting for the one that wasn't. Woman finally came out and I went in. Garmin was on the floor. Grabbed it and some water from volunteer to "clean" it.

So my run time includes all this "garmin searching" time. Nice!

Remember vasoline the first time. Not lose Garmin.
Run
  • 1h 19m
  • 6.14 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Actual time was closer to 1:19:00, but official time included search for Garmin.

Knew this was going to be rough. Wanted to practice nutrition and keeping core temp down. They had aid stations every 1/2 mile due to the heat. This was AWESOME!!! My plan was to walk the aid stations and up the hills and jog everything else. That's pretty much what I did. Looked at the Garmin during the first 1/2 mile and saw a sub 9/mile pace, oops, too fast, better slow it down.

Average pace while jogging was between 10 and 12 minute pace, which at 100 degrees, I'm fine with. Took my salt, but didn't take much of my gel. Did take the coke they were offering at the aid stations. Was awesome! Ice and water went in my belly and on my body. Back part of run was shaded and I took advantage to keep core temp and HR under control.

James passed me just before the turnaround, with a pat on the butt. I smacked him and told him "Nice Run." Hmmm...guess James is "racing" too.

Actually felt pretty good mile 3.5-4.5. Then we ran back into the sun. There was one section that I roasted both on the out and on the back, but caught my breath while walking up the hills and jogged pretty well after.

Not sure how many more miles I had in me in this heat, but I had some left. I concentrated on keeping my body "running smoothly."

Aaron also ran by at some point and I saw most of the rest of T3 out on the run course. That was AWESOME!!! and makes me "look forward" to IMLOU run course. It will be littered with T3 peoples.

Walked 1/2 way up the last hill and then jogged it in, high fiving all the T3 members who were already done with their RACE.

Nothing. I learned some things today and am honestly not disappointed with my pacing. If it's that hot or close at IMLOU, I will know what I need to do. Really want to not have those long periods of walking at IMLOU. That run course is flat, but not shady (until the sun goes down).
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted and sweated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and planning.

Event comments:

IM Muncie 70.3 was actually 37.2, but they made the right call. Had plenty of aid stations that were fully stocked and full of helpful cheerful volunteers. Had as much, if not more, ice than I could use.

Last updated: 2012-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:14 | 1750 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 95/
Overall: 596/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:16 | 28.84 miles | 21.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 128/
Overall: 749/
Performance:
10 mile averages: 22.0mph 21.2mph 20.6mph
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 11:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:00 | 06.14 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 202/
Overall: 1283/
Performance: Average
From my Garmin: 1- 9:59 2- 13:31 3- 13:02 4- 14:06 5- 13:35 6- 13:07
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-07 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2012-07-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4299480

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Ckinsey,

Sounds like you had a good practice day for Louisville.  Glad you found your Garmin; i'm sure that was frustrating!

Great job on a really tough and hot day!

2012-07-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4299480

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
It was a challenge to stay inside the box on the bike and not let what others were doing change your strategy.  It was a good training day and I think we all learned some value things for Lou.  I agree it was awesome seeing all the T3'ers on both the bike and run course.  Enjoy the time with your family.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed