United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 12s
Overall Rank = 143/243
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ about 4:30. Took a shower and grabbed my gear. Kissed the wife and drove the 45 min to the race. Stopped and got some coffee and a cliff bar. Transition set up was easy, got a good spot and started to get ready.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the swim start and swam about 100 yards out, 100 yards back. stretched and waited for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 10m 15s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim felt good. i was nice and relaxed. i didn't want to get all worked up and go out too fast, so i just started slow and kept an even rythem. I swam more than the course needed because of bad sighting, but on such a short course it didn't hurt me too much. Was happy with the swim, even though i know i can swim faster. Didn't want to have a freak out in the water again though, and i didn't.
What would you do differently?:

sight better
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

T1 was slow. it does include a long run from the lake to the transition, uphill. But I was still slow. I wanted to swim without my tri-top, so i had to put that on, and my socks. After i got those on, i was fine, but probably could have been around 2 min if i was not doddeling. oh well.
Bike
  • 51m 8s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

wow, the hills on this were tough, but i felt ok most of the time. I passed some, and some passed me. I pushed hard, but not too hard. Felt good towards to the end of the bike. Need to get more comfortable going downhill at high speed, could have picked up some more time. need to ride more hills so i can feel it coming down the hills. But i was happy with my time and how i felt at the end.

just go faster by getting faster
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

rack bike, put on running shoes and go. was a bit slow for my AG, but whatever, i'm not shooting for the podium so i take my time a bit.
Run
  • 28m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

was feeling really hot by the time i got off the bike and into my running shoes. that slowed me on the run. i had to walk a couple of times to keep from overheating. I wasn't feeling "tired", just really hot. I dumped water on my head at each water stop, and drank some water at each as well. could have been faster, but was my best pace for a 5k tri, so i'm happy with that part of it.

cool better
Post race
Warm down:

drank water, ate some orange slices, and waited for transition to open to get my bike. Once i did, i walked my bike back to the car, and then walked back to the race site, and back to my car. that was mostly to strech my legs out before the 45 min drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat/humidity? it rained last night, so it was pretty humid this morning and i felt it for sure.

Event comments:

see ya next year at this one.

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:15 | 500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/26
Overall: 0/243
Performance: Good
Suit: just my tri shorts
Course: point to point. started about waist deep. about 100 yards out to the first turn, swam parallel to the shore for about 300 yards, then a final right turn to the swim exit about 100 yards out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:08 | 15 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/26
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Pretty Hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:40 | 03.1 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/26
Performance:
Course: round through the park. some areas of shade, some areas of boiling hotness.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes