United States
Orange County Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m
Overall Rank = 32/122
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Pb&j, fruit snacks and coffee. They close transition early, so wasted a bunch of time pre-race
Event warmup:

Walked a mile to the swim start
Swim
  • 21m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a super fast course, but i still had the usual issues, shoulder fatigue and sighting. Ran into a pier so had to do maybe a 20yd dog-leg. Overall it was fine. Since there was now rounding buoys there was much less contact then Im used to.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting the new helmet on and more trouble getting into my shoes.
What would you do differently?:

Practice transitions!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed by a few right out the gate while i fiddled with my shoes again and a few more in the first couple of miles, then it kind of settled down and i passed some, got passed some. Loved my new helmet! But i had a hard time getting comfy in aero because of my busted arm rest. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. Brought my 20oz aero bottle with water and a bike bottle with gatorade. That worked out fine and i ran out about 2 miles from home. On some of the rougher roads my repair gear was bouncing around like crazy in the PD tray behind the seat. Looked back to see my tube trying to jump out. Considered tossing it but didnt want to litter or risk an unfixable flat. So i pulled everything out one at a time and jammed it in the little pockets of my onepiece (tube, levers 2x CO2, and inflator).

I need to train harder, not more, harder. While i think its great that i can head out for 60 miles on a Sunday morning, i can't maintain serious power over 25. Recent sprint efforts tricked me into thinking that Im faster than I am. All in all, not too bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Run
  • 46m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm very happy i hit my goal of 7:30/mile but paid for it. It was a little hot for my liking and i felt a little blah, but nothing specifically wrong. I need to thank the two relay runners behind me for the 2nd half or i would have totally slacked off. Whenever i heard the pitter patter of little feet I turned it up some and managed to pass a few folks. Finished totally spent but running, so i guess the pace was right.

Like the bike, more time with intensity now.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up and waited with Joe's family for him to fiish his first tri! I thought he was nuts for stating with an Oly full of hills, but he charged on through. Then off to Newark Airport to pick up my folks. No rest for the weary...

Event comments:

This is a great race in an area that needs good things happening. Sadly, anytime Newburgh seems to get press it is for a trajedy. Organization was fantastic and so were the volunteers/cops. Some locals went as far to as to have cases of Poland Spring to hand to runners.

Last updated: 2012-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 85/122
Performance: Average
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: One way down the hudson with a really nice current pulling you on down. I was in the first wave where they put the slow swimmers. Fine by me...
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:23:12 | 24.85 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Overall: 45/122
Performance: Average
Forgot my garmin at work, so I'm going through data withdrawal
Wind: Little
Course: First half mostly uphill out Fostertown. Then kinda fast. There are some pretty crappy roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 20/122
Performance: Good
Course: Some up, some down, great volunteers. Most of the climbing is on the way out, thank goodness, with a fast last mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes