Elite Endeavors
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 48s
Overall Rank = 14/159
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

The usual. I was surprised at how small this was. This used to be a much bigger race.
Event warmup:

A little stretching. Swam about 200 yards out into lake and back.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was probably the roughest swim I have ever participated. Water was really hot. I seeded myself about two rows back from the start line--mistake. Apparently the guys who put themselves in front of me were more optimistic than realistic. When the gun went off I took about three strokes and immediately swam into the guys in front of me. They were not fast swimmers. Nor were they smooth. I was surrounded by a whole bunch of flailing guys. I was punched, kicked, scratched, maybe bitten once--kidding.

I never really got into a good thythm for some reason. I felt like my legs were dragging very low in the water and I just never felt smooth or good in this race. I never felt "bad" like things weren't OK, but I just never felt like I got up to a reasonable pace. Also, I kept drifting left so it would not surprise me if I actually swam an extra 100 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Swim better
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Long run up hill to transition.
Bike
  • 39m 31s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was going pretty hard for much of this course but I still do not think I pushed hard enough. I passed a lot of people and nobody passed my on the entire course. I felt good. I was able to stay in aero the whole time. I remember the last time I did this race (2009) that 14 miles seemed like so long and this year it was over before I knew it.

I did lose my water bottle in a rough patch of road coming out of transition. I made the decision that I needed it for the race so I stopped and picked it up. Probably lost 15-20 seconds??

I still need to work on getting out of my comfort zone. I think I am using the, "well I have to run after this," excuse to not push hard enough on the bike.

Not lose water bottle
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Put on socks. Otherwise no delays and up with the big boys in this race for T2.
Run
  • 36m 59s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a hard run. When I did the same course as an open 5 mile race two years ago I did this in 40 minutes flat and struggled. Today I did it in 36:59 off the bike and felt pretty good.

When I first started my stomach felt too full of fluids and I was very sloshy. I had taken a gel an some water on the bike, a little bit too close to transition. I had a little trouble getting up to pace because of the fluids and I was also a little nervous about the hills ahead.

As I went further and further, I felt better and better and was able to pick up the pace considerably. Three people passed me on this portion. One of they guys I cauught at about mile four and another I was catching but I ran out of real estate. I felt good at this race and had something left so I really pushed the last mile.

Start faster. Drink less on the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to mentally toughen up and embrace the suffering.

I was 16 minutes faster than when I last did this race three years ago so making progress.

Event comments:

Really fun local race. Sorry to see that it has shrunk in size. I hope this is just a one year thing and that it grows again. I don't know if the change in dates has hust this race. It used to be many folks first race of the season and now it falls on a weekend that has other events competing with it.

Last updated: 2012-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 880 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 48/159
Performance: Below average
Suit: Just wore my trisuit
Course: Trapezoid.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:31 | 14 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Overall: 17/159
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:59 | 05 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 13/159
Performance:
Course: Trail run. A very tough, demandin, hilly, sandy, hard run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-09 9:16 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Ann Arbor Triathlon

2012-07-09 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4300963

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Triathlon

Good work Jason.  Sounds like a tough run course.  Nice result...keep up the good work!

Randy 

2012-07-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4300963

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Triathlon

Nice racing, Jason.  Or rather, nice training -- you raced well despite some (minor) mistakes because your training is so awesome.  Great to see such good progress.

I think that your self-analysis sounds spot on.  In particular, I'd definitely second 'less is more' regarding nutrition and hydration on the bike.  Perhaps try just a bit of sports drink on the bike during the first half, then a sip prior to the run.  (Just a small amount of carb on your tongue right before the run can make it easier to come out fast out of T2.)

Well, those are minor details -- you raced well, and congrats!  Run course sounds particularly tough.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ann Arbor Triathlon Rss Feed