World Triathlon Corporation
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 56m 35s
Overall Rank = 1431/1788
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 95/98
Pre-race routine:

Left home about 10:30AM and arrived in Muncie around 2:30PM. Went to check-in and then to the athletic briefing at 3PM. After the athletic briefing I drove to the venue area to check bike in. At this point it was 100+ degrees. I did let some air out of my tires to ensure they did not pop while the bike sat in that blazing heat. After that I drove tot he Hotel for some rest and preparation. I was pretty tired after having family in all week and doing no training due to preparation for family and July 4th activities.
I went to sleep around 10PM but had a restless night. Finally got up at 3:30AM. Way too early.
I had a few power bars along with a few jels and lots to drink.
Event warmup:

Stretched out quite a bit. Went for a short swim.

Swim
  • 1h 00m 17s
  • 1760 yards
  • 03m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a real bad swim day. It was my first swim without my wetsuit and it showed. It was also a real mosh pit out there. I got hit way too much even though I attempted to stay on the outside. I was just too slow and waves behind me caught up and basicall ran over me.

Also I am not quite sure but my head just started throbbing where my cap was around my forehead. It hurt so bad at one point I was going to take it off but did not want to lose swim goggles in the process. I did my best to move it up higher on my head but it kept hurting and distracting me. All I could think about was getting the heck out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

Much much more open water prwctice without my wetsuit. I also need to get my sighting in order and not worry about what is coming up behind me. i actually swam 1.5 miles on a 1 mile swim according to my GPS. That is horrible.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Actually this was a good transition, in part, due to the fact that there were no other bikes around by the time I got there. LOL
I sucked down a rehydrate gel and drank some water before I started the bike ride. Since it was only 30 miles I decided not to put the effort into putting socks on and that turned out to be a good decision. No blisters on the bike at all and very comfortable.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 44s
  • 30 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Thanks goodness I had a great ride (in my eyes). I drank approximately 60 ounces (perpetuem mix and water), took about 6 endurolytes and had two rehydrate gels during the ride and felt just fine. Most of what I drank was my perpetuem mix and water. Each time I drank the rehydrate drink mix it made me feel a little sick so I stopped drinking it. I also made sure that I took a bottle of water as I rode through the water stations and took a drink and dumped the rest over my head.

Nothing. For me the ride went well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Good transition for me. I could have moved a bit faster but did not want to miss anything because of the hot run coming up. I took a rehydrate gel and drank some water in this transition as well.

Nothing. It seemed to have gome well.
Run
  • 1h 18m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a slow start but actually felt as if I got faster as I progressed. Due to the heat I did not push it. I walked and ran equally. I took two ice waters and a coke at the water stations. I put one ice water over my head, frand one and the coke.

If I feel good push it more.
Post race
Warm down:

Bottles of cold water over my head, lunch and then off to the Active Release Physical therapy tent for some release techniques which really worked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning and weight.

Event comments:

Overall for the heat 100+ I was fine the entire race with the exception of the swim. On the bike and run I felt good with no distress at all. I was just hot, very very hot.
I think the volunteers were great and the organization was top notch for the last minute changes that took place in the distances.

Last updated: 2011-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:17 | 1760 yards | 03m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 98/98
Overall: 1517/1788
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri Shorts and Zoot Tri Top
Course: Rectangular Lake Swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:44 | 30 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/98
Overall: 1460/1788
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and very friendly for the type of riding I do. This was my only other bright spot in the day other than crossong the finish line. I kept a good pace and probably could have hammered it a bit more.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:30 | 06.2 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 95/98
Overall: 1458/1788
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes