Team Magic, Inc.
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 51s
Overall Rank = 159/973
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/82
Pre-race routine:

Stayed across the street from transition so slept a lil bit longer than usual. Heavy breakfast (700 cals), hydrate (80oz), clear the system, double triple check and walk out and get ready for the hot day. 84 to start the day.
HIGH electrolyte strategy for this race (>2700 Na, >1500K, caps/fizz/etc)
Event warmup:

Repeat of last year-INJURY FREE
Set up transition, had the guy net to me try and sit on his bike while it was on the transition bar-FAIL. Fell off and over into mine and the guy next to me's bikes. ODD! still not sure what he was doing. Took flip flops ipod and 1/2 gatorade endurance bottle and bag of ice with towel to the bus. Chilled in the football field talking with Reality teammates, 2nd system clearing, listened to music and stayed cool with towel. Had a brainfart-was I ON row three or AFTER row 3 in transition-CRAP. Dropped off bag and got lined up. Went through shoulder warmups and a some pushups to get the upper body awake.
Swim warmup not permitted.
Swim
  • 23m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Maybe it was just me, but I swear we were swimming upstream. I never really felt a push of the current and after I finished I looked out on the water and it looked like we must have been.
Ok aside from that I felt I had a good swim, I never got out deep, but wasnt as close to the cliff as in years past. Never really had alot of people around me to draft off of. I generally passed anyone who I did come near, although someone SCRATCHED the hell out of my neck at some point. Got slightly congested at bridge 2 but no worries.
Felt like I pushed pretty well, wish I could have drafted more.
What would you do differently?:

Try and draft more, get deeper if there is where the current is. Talk more and find some faster swimmers close to my start spot.

Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

If youve ready my reports-Rule #1 break 1:00.
Not gonna happen at TN. The run from the water is a curve to a triple set of stairs, pathway to the street, across the street, up the block, turn into transition, run ALL the way down transition, and then down your rows, get your bike and down the row across transition out and to the dismount line. So I looked at previous years T1 times and said--fine break 2:00
Didnt help I missed my row by one-CRAP was right. Killed umm 5-20 seconds looking for bike.
Dangit there goes 2:00!!!
(fastest T1 in 3 years)

Triple check flow to T1!!!
Bike
  • 1h 16m 14s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmmm. I checked hard pace and not enough drinking becuase looking back, my run sucked. Opinon is I bombed my legs on the ride. Didnt feel like it at the time but I guess the heat, wind, and lesser volume of bike training has impacted me more than I thought.
Uneventful ride, passed alot of people, mostly on hills. Had some gusts challenge my steering, ran through the gears nicely and felt like I had a complete ride.
Looking back 2 bottles (smaller 24ozers) not enough for this heat ride.

Larger bottles, more volume in training.
(slowest in 3 years-windiest too)
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

See Rule #1
Found rack much faster, was trying to break 1:00. back a little tight, legs a little gummy. I do socks for 10Ks. Had them rolled to put on quikly-they felt good going on, left one took too long. Had to kneel and get left shoe on. Ran out of T2 to the water table.

Find shoes that I dont need socks-THAT I LIKE.
Grrr, 13 seconds for socks-probably not.
(fastest T2 in 3 years)
Run
  • 55m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh good lord. So out of T2 I grab 4 cups immediately with a walk. 3 for me and one for my face/head. I dont feel thirsty (not that its a good indicator anyway) but Im trying to shove fluid in knowing the run is going to have me soaked-ITS HOT OUT by now. On my belt Ive got my PB GU gel and gum and Electrolyte fizz tab. At mile 1 I check my pace
Mile 1 7:30-perfect
with the walk to start the run I figue its a sub7 actual run. The aid station is 100 feet after that. I do the 3 cup of water walk and begin running again. Things feel ok. I gel to get in in "before its too late" hmmm I LOVE PB and have tried this packet before. Before I thought man I wish it were thicker like real PB and its a little salty-ok I still ilke it. THIS DAY I feel like Keanu Reeves NEO when hes in the custody of Smith and they seal his mouth shut-WHOa this is THICK. Since Im not completely congniscient I convince myself the thinner one from before was a mistake-WRONG. I gum it down and hit the next aid station for 3-4 cups while walking.
Mile 2 7:33,
things feel ok-except for the HEAT and the "dry mouth". From 2-3 the twitching of the quads begins, I give it about a quarter mile before I stop to "pre-stretch" and prevent the inevitable. I also know the mile 3 is the turnaround-HALFWAY!!! As Im stretching I have to pee-great, well proper stretching legs wide, yeah I could so I did-in the grass. Got back up to speed but still the feeling was in a hurry on its way. Started throwing tablet chunks into my mouth and with water at ice/water station-in HOPES to get it in early and prevent. No hope now.
Im stretching at mile 3, longer now trying to shock/stop the quads from seizing up. Its galloway walk run now. Each time though I am able to get back up to speed. I have questioned why I can hold a fast pace longer than a steady pace before cramping up.
Mile 3 9:10.
Its a walk/water/stretch/run from here on in.
Mile 4: 9:44
I see a female runner pass me and think I can hang with her, Im hoping her pace will be fast enough to keep me from cramping, I dont know why it works but it does, I figure I draft off her for more than a half mile, but heven her pace is too hot for me and she pulls away. My breathing is crazy and I have to slow down. Here comes the twitching again. I stretch and make it to the aid station. More more more more more.
Mile 5: 9:31
Along mile 5 I repeatedly see the same blond (Ann Urmanski). We rotate the "lead" over and over. When she passes I feel its time to stop stretching and run, I get ahead and cramp/twitch-stop to stretch and we repeat. I run the hill but have to walk the top. Im beat now just so tired and want to be done, so dry so hot and just tired of the cramp/twitch fest happening. Then there goes Ann, dammit now I have to run again. Then stretch. I make this a good one knowing its the bridge stairs and downhill finish. I crush the bridge, hit every step, encourage a runner dying with me as I pass him at the underpass I work the downhill. Im focused on a female runner with a skull on her back and pacing/chasing her (she isnt getting closer) I feel the twitching, I can SEE the FINISH. Im 40 yds from the FINSH-BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Right hamstring STOPS me HARD! First time hammy has twitched or cramped-NOOOOOOOO the finish is RIIIIIIIIIGHT THERE!!!!
Im doing everything in the middle of the road (BUT MOVING FORWARD) trying to release/stretch/mobilize it. A fuinished runner walks onto the course and gives me his water-I finish that, no improvement. The crowd is going nuts and just crying for me I hear it I see it I FEEL it. Its been >1:00 ++++++.I CANT MOVE!!!
I get a step or 2 and CANT MOVE. I stretch pull grunt, want to cry--ITS RIGHT THERE!!!!
Out of nowhere I hear come on from behind-ANN literally GRABS my waist YANKS me forward as she runs and FORCES me to move forward. She DEAMNDS I stay with her, after 20 yds the hobble is fading and I have a "stride" she says "now finish, your faster than this-GO!" I finsh! TURN AROUND AND YELL CONGRATULATIONS, HUG HER, AND THANK HER!!!!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN ANN!!!!
Mile 6.2: 11:58

NO COMMENT
(2nd fastest in 3 years)
Post race
Warm down:

STRETCH
Go find Emily and Izzy.
FOOD and DRINK--pickles!!!! HOT SAUCE!!!
On hand there was oranges, bananas, pizza, pork pulled sandwiches, cookies, crackers, moon pies, granola bars, coke, and BEER.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

CRAMPING

Event comments:

I think in years past Ive rated this race a 5. This year a 4 and slipping fast. First off I was denied a bottle of water by a volunteer during the expo the day before. Apparently those were specifically for the volunteers. I RESPECT the volunteers whole heartedly and would carry a case from the truck to refill the cooler, if needed. but to deny an athlete a bottle of water IN THE ATHLETE TENT-really are they that scarce-RUDE.
I am also a SWAG SNOB, mostly BECAUSE OF THIS RACE. I was disappointed by:
The cheap swim caps-(AWESOME last year-even for a cap)
The POSTCARD we were supposed to attach to our stem-with safety pins or zipties that they ran out of. (sticker last year as part of the tritats kit)
The ONE volunteer signing athletes in.
One water bottle and one gel
The tritat package was smaller-only numbers for arms and leg. (last year was cap sticker, body sticker bike sticker, emergency bike sticker, wristband, team in training sponsor sticker...)
The QR bike was a giveaway before, this year a raffle.
No finish line medals or anything-ok a bottle of water. Last year there were SWEET METAL refillable water bottles painted with the race logo and sponsors. This year nothing.
I do this race for:
1. The brutal heat challenge
2. The course (great orginization, great volunteers)
3. The SWAG-Loved the neon green T this year.WHITE BOOO!
1-Check
2-Hmmm check but slipping (slow registration, rude volunteers in 2 places)
3-Definitely no check
Im not sure if Ill go back. My schedule may have an opening in 2013.
CONGRATS TO ALL FINISHERS
THANK YOU TO ALL VOLUNTEERS
THANK YOU TO ALL POLICE involved.

Last updated: 2012-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/82
Overall: 0/973
Performance: Good
2nd fastest swim for me (3 years racing this race)
Suit: Reality Bikes tri kit
Course: Point to point swim. Shore on left-SUN on right. Under 3 bridges. From kayak/boat dock to floating stairs at concrete boat dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:14 | 26.1 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/82
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Pretty straight forward course. Leave transition cut through town to HWY27, out and back using median to turnaround (there are portajohns at turnaround-I WISH THERE WAS A BOTTLE EXCHANGE HERE)back on HWY 27 cut through town to transition. Long rollers with 2 high speed hills. BUMPS AND GROOVED roads in places. GROOVE leaving transition on minor climb-saw one wrecked rider and heard of 2 others here. BUMPS along HWY 27 entrance and 1st bridge-almost lost bottle here, saw 3 already lying there.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:55:30 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/82
Performance: Below average
(2nd fastest in 3 years)
Course: DEATH MARCH Down a block, right turn, UP hill to 3 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS, bridge, to path to street (cold towels here) to DOWNHILL to neighborhood, to path back to swim start, path out and back with minimal rollers and MINIMAL shade along water and swamp, turnaround and follow same course back. Water/aid stations ever mile and then a few more. Some have ICE!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %YES
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-10 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2012-07-10 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4303314

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Nice job toughing out on the run. My report from last year looked similar.....solid swim and bike with a struggling run. Enjoyed your report.  Good luck the rest of the season.

Randy

2012-07-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4303926

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
slornow - 2012-07-10 2:56 PM

Nice job toughing out on the run. My report from last year looked similar.....solid swim and bike with a struggling run. Enjoyed your report.  Good luck the rest of the season.

Randy

Thanks so much-same to you! Finish Strong

Frank

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed