REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 32s
Overall Rank = 24/255
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/39
Pre-race routine:

was 8AM for Pros and 8:16ish for my age group wave (UNDER 40 MALE). Got there at 6AM and parked really close to the expo. Got everything set up with no problems.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 28m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was a bit confusing. We were doing a clockwise route, and the first buoy was basically straight out and we had to keep that on our left, the others we had to keep on our right. Pro Men went at 8, Pro Women at 8:05 or so. All Age group women went at 8:10, Over 40 men went at 8:13ish and Under 40 Men went at 8:16ish. Seriously, can anyone explain to me why the fastest age groups (25-39) always go last? I mean, the women only went 6 minutes ahead of this, so it doesn’t really get them off the course faster. Oh well. My group went off and there were 3-4 fast guys out, I stayed on one guy’s feet, but lost him in the mix when we hit the slower swimmers of the 40+ Men. Before the start I never did see the whole swim course, because it was hidden by trees sticking out on points, but figured I had to swim through everyone, so I would figure it out along the way. Before the first turn buoy on my right I passed a lot of people. By the time I hit the second turn buoy on my right, I was all alone. I could see swimmers out in front of me, but no point on turning the gas on now. Made the final turn buoy and thought to myself, this seems long, hit the beach, looked at my watch. 28:30ish. Hmm, I thought, oh well, time to bike. Come to find out the swim was long. This was confirmed by Jordan Rapp and other pros as all of their swim times were 2 minutes slower than last year. I don’t mind.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Bike
  • 2h 45m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Main focus for the bike was to go “easy”. I am not just saying this, but the course is hard (read Jordan Rapp’s blog if you don’t believe me). He compared it to Wildflower and said it was actually probably harder than Wildflower bike course. Within the first 10 miles I swore half my age group passed me. In reality, I it was 5-6 guys, but it seemed like a caravan of 35-39 year old men (Yows knows all about that). At the 11ish mile, starts the major hills/climbs. You can see by the website that the climbs could be 4-5 miles long with 11-12% grades. Switchbacks were a plenty and you felt like you were riding the mountains of the Tour. Elevation isn’t high like Colorado since we basically started at sea level, but the climbs were tough. On Saturday I told Amy that it would take me anywhere from 2:50 to 3:10 to bike this course and I was pretty spot on. The hills got pretty taxing especially from miles 25 on. I was out of gears on a majority of the climbs. The downhills were fast and had 180 degree turns where for cars the warning signs were plenty and said max speed of 10mph. Only other time I have ridden stuff like this was descending Mount Evans in CO. I rode the brakes pretty much on every descent. My max speed was 39 mph on a downhill.
The bike course was scenic, don’t get me wrong, Hugh would have stopped at mile 15 or so and hit a trail or two never to be heard of again. Yows would have peed on every downhill (I know because I did once or twice). Evans would have drove the course on Saturday and flew back home Saturday night. Taylor would have bought a triple crank for the front and a 12-42 for the back.

Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Run
  • 1h 44m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

for this whole race was to hold the run together. I wanted to start out at 7:55-8:00 pace. My Garmin said I was doing just that if not a tad faster. Guys were flying by me and while I felt great running, I didn’t push the pace to try and stay with them. I saw after the race the texts from Taylor saying I was running 7:15 ish for the first 2-3 miles and race site confirmed that, but my Garmin never had me running that fast. My first 3 mile splits were right at the 7:45-7:50 pace, so not sure if their miles were a bit short to start with or what was going on. I felt pretty good for first 3 miles and everything was clicking. Miles 3-8 were pretty much the same. Miles 9-10 were tough, but still clipping along. Mile 13 Kloden came out to run and finish with me. That was the best experience of the day or any race I have done. Little guy ran .1 miles with me, saying “daddy we are running fast, then he said, daddy, I am getting tired”.

Post race

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/39
Overall: 3/255
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zenith
Course: Clockwise, 1 loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:45:09 | 56 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 17/255
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:44:34 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 24/255
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-12 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Rev3 Portland - Half Rev

2012-07-14 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4307943

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Rev3 Portland - Half Rev
great rr!  You summed it up well - and what a great run on a hot day!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Portland - Half Rev Rss Feed