General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How legit is Tejay Van Garderen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-12 8:12 PM

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: How legit is Tejay Van Garderen

Break it down for someone like me who follows pro cycling three weeks out of the year for the last four or five years.

Obviously he's in white, I know what that means.  Though that makes me ask, what are the peak years for a cyclist?

It seems to me he could have dropped Cadel today.Just curious what people think of his future and his chances at a GC.

2012-07-12 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4308953

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: How legit is Tejay Van Garderen
Schack - 2012-07-13 11:12 AM

Break it down for someone like me who follows pro cycling three weeks out of the year for the last four or five years.

Obviously he's in white, I know what that means.  Though that makes me ask, what are the peak years for a cyclist?

It seems to me he could have dropped Cadel today.Just curious what people think of his future and his chances at a GC.

Generally it is accepted that a cyclist PEAKS in terms of endurance performance for something like a 3 week stage race between the ages of around 27-32 being considered the optimum years...

However, riders do NOT just ride for themselves and Teejay is untested in terms of the pressures of a race leader, making the strategic split second decisions on the road, dealing with the media, and inspiring other riders to want to support him etc...

But he is pure talent who has HUGE potential in the coming years... but with a bit yet to learn... with the right DS he could get there... next few years will be VERY interesting!

Personally I think two guys will be getting interesting offers from other teams (depending on their current contracts) after this years TDF:

1 - Chris Froome - Give the boy a team to support him on GC... after Vuelta and now TDF the boy is ready... but only just this year...

2 - Teejay... surely the American teams must be looking at him and thinking about their long term goals and the strategies required to keep American sponsors on board... he would be a good get in the next few years as he starts to mature as a rider... he is good, really good but just still learning so no idea where he will end up!

Edited by kaqphin 2012-07-12 9:46 PM
2012-07-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4308953

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: How legit is Tejay Van Garderen
He can climb and TT, it will be a GC contender for years.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How legit is Tejay Van Garderen Rss Feed