Graniteman Endurance Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 26s
Overall Rank = 166/316
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 am; ate Shredded Oats; oj, only 1/2 Prov. which has been working well. Out by 6 am and everything was already packed. At race a little after 6:30 am and it was already crowded in transition for an 8 am start! Chatted, road the bike to check gearing, and walked to swim
Event warmup:

Rode bike just to check gearing and to make sure I had it in a good gear to exit up a hill.
Swim
  • 14m 49s
  • 809 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average 100 yards at 1:50 is pretty good. Felt pretty good except I've been having heavy leg feeling about 100 yards into the swim--weird since I don't kick.
What would you do differently?:

Train more? Speed work?
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I'm still slow. Thought I needed my race belt bc there was no bike number,so I turned around to get it.
Bike
  • 46m 58s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt fast. Did OK and would have been 19.5 MPH if the measurement was used in calculation. I like the course. Rolling hills and nothing too steep. Felt nauseous tho. Didn't bother with the GU and had eaten a banana around 30 min bf race and it kept repeating.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Again,. slow
Run
  • 27m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't like trails so I wasn't happy. Trails at least allowed some shade bc it was sunny and hot on the pavement. On the other hand, my run was better than Waconia. I didn't know the course and the trail obscured the view so I ended up sprinting once I realized I was only yards from the end. I guess I had something in the tank!
What would you do differently?:

Keep working
Post race
Warm down:

Got ice and water bc I was pretty wiped out by the heat. Chatted and hung out for awards. Got a door prize of a Soleus GPS watch!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two weeks of vacation and little training but still a 4 min. PR from the last time I did the race in 2010.

Event comments:

A little short of volunteers at some key points on the bike--the sheriff just getting to a dangerous corner in Augusta when I got there--needed more than a volunteer there. Another dangerous turn after Creative Memories, over the 94 bridge. Some ass in a car didn't want to slow down and wait for the bikes. On the run, one water station for coming and going; at first pass no one had water to hand off so I had to wait; on second pass, they gave me about 1/4 cup of water--were they running out? Not enough volunteers there --only 3--so slow to hand out. They ran out of water before the last runner came in at the end. It was a hot day and needed to have enough water. Amazing post race door prizes from Rev and Endurunce--basically getting a $100 gps watch paid for the race and then some. Small field bc Lifetime and TImberman were the same day--no female elites at all. Needs more volunteers. Better safety now that the run has been moved off the road it was on, even though I don't like trails.

Last updated: 2012-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:49 | 809 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 0/316
Performance: Average
Suit: vortex full sleeve
Course: Point to point--love that.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:58 | 15 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Wind: Some
Course: I think it is more than 15 miles and they know it too since the 15 mile marker was well before the end of the course. Yet, the times are based on 15 miles--why? So my actual split would be 19.5 MPH. It's kind of a triangle course. It's good and today it felt fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:49 | 03.1 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Course: Out and back thru trails and pavement. Trails were narrow and I hate trails anyway. Lots of roots and dips. And it was hilly. The pavement part was significantly hilly. But the old course was too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No