Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m
Overall Rank = 12/349
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Up and out the door by 6:20 - hour drive to the race
Event warmup:

Set up transition, then got in a half mile run warmup - already quite warm and very humid at race start
Swim
  • 26m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

About what I was expecting on the swim, it being my weakest area. I'm trying to get in 3-4 swims a week and around 10,000 yards per week with the hopes of having a decent swim at AG Nationals and in Vegas.

There was quite a bit of contact throughout the first half of the swim even though my wave probably only had 100 or so athletes in it. I did a decent job of navigating and felt good coming out of the water.

It seems that I only seem to have one open water swim pace - I need to try pushing it a bit when I do more open water swims.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get in at least one OWS per week
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Average transition for me - lost a few seconds with the suit getting stuck on my right heel - not the one with the chip
Bike
  • 51m 59s
  • 22 miles
  • 25.39 mile/hr
Comments:

With the fastest bike time, you'd think I'd be happy. However, this was far below what I'm capable of. I was thinking I'd be around 310 watts for the race, which is around 90% power, but it didn't happen. Maybe that was a result of riding 170+ miles this week, and not tapering at all for this race. As a result, it was a decent ride - nothing more.

The first three miles of the course was a very gradual uphill, then there was a 300 ft gain over the next nine miles. I was able to pass a lot of people as a result of sucking so bad at swimming. After the 12 mile point the rest of the course was mostly downhill.

Around mile 14 the course went through downtown Gardner with some sharp corners and speed restrictions. We had to ride in a narrow bike lane, which slowed everyone down. After the downtown section it was mostly a slight downhill back to the transition area. I passed a group of five riders right before transition who looked like they were having a good draft party - really guys??

The power just wasn't there for this race. I had two days of harder intervals on the bike earlier in the week and a 67 mile ride, and I guess that probably didn't help out.

I was training through this race with Vegas as my real focus, so I knew I wasn't going to demolish the bike leg. My power was only two watts higher than my average at Tremblant, which was 1.5 hours longer of riding time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Another average transition - I was just about as far as possible from the bike in and run out, so that didn't help
Run
  • 41m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Same as with the bike, I'm training for Vegas, so I'm not doing a ton of speed work for an Olympic run. I was hoping to be under 40:00 and closer to 39:00 for a run, but that didn't happen. It was also close to 90 degrees by the time I finished up, so it was pretty warm.

I was able to maintain a decent pace about 15-20 seconds slower than I wanted. I was passed by a few of those 'drafting' guys in the first two miles, then passed two people in the last four miles.

With an open 10k PR of 36:34 this spring, I know I can do a faster Olympic run - hopefully that will happen at AG Nationals next month

More training in the heat and a few more bricks
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with a few other finishers and grabbed some drinks and grub. Also got a pretty bad massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper and HIM volume - 15-17 hr training weeks - but that will pay off when it counts.

With this race only having a 22 mile bike leg, I'd say my time equates to around a 2:07-2:08. I'm hoping to be in the 2:05 range at AG Nationals, and I feel that can happen if I do a little of a taper for that week.

Event comments:

Overall, a good race with some fast athletes. I know that the Olympic distance is more balanced, and with a piss poor swim, I'm better suited to sprint tris and half ironmans.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 83/349
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Somewhat triangular course with three left hand turns, first only about 100 yards from the swim start
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:59 | 22 miles | 25.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 1/349
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 163 Avg Power: 280 - 292 NP
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with the fist half mostly uphill and the second half mostly downhill, going through downtown Gardner
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:08 | 06.2 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 18/349
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 167
Course: Simple out and back on mostly shaded streets - only about 150 ft of elevation change, so pretty flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes