Jefferson, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions
Total Time = 1h 26m 37s
Overall Rank = 20/76
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

I clocked the drive on Saturday from my house to packet pickup as 23 minutes, so I got up at 5am, ate some oatmeal, grabbed some coffee, and hit the road. I got there a few minutes after 6. I also ate an Access bar around 7:20 after warming up. They closed transition at 7 and were trying to herd people out of there before that to walk to the swim start, which they claimed was a 15 minute walk but is really more like 5. Pre-race announcements were at 7:15.
Event warmup:

Once I got over to the swim start, I waded in and swam around 100-150 yards.
Swim
  • 07m 14s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was in the 4th wave of 4. We started in the water, and I positioned myself in the front toward the left/outside. I ended up just beyond where I could touch, so I was treading water for a couple of minutes, but it was fine. It was a little crazy for the first 100 yards or so, but I went out strong and maintained my position, and it thinned out soon enough. I started encountering swimmers from the prior wave around the first buoy (further into the swim than it sounds) so from that point on I had to sight more to avoid other swimmers. Sighting was easy - two buoys, hang a right at the second one. I thought I was among the first of my wave out of the water, and according to the results I was first in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt really good about the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

After exiting the water there was a slight jog around the side of the transition area prior to the mats. Once in T1 it was pretty straightforward - not having a wetsuit to struggle out of simplifies things! I ended up putting on one shoe, then my sunglasses and helmet, then the other shoe. I have no idea why. Ran out and mounted after the line. Oh, and I had forgotten to start my watch at the start of the swim, so I started it on the way out of T1.

Get some tri shoes, learn some fancy mounts. But really, it was probably my best T1 yet.
Bike
  • 48m 1s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I hadn't ridden this course before but I could tell it would be conducive to a fast bike split. On the way out of T1 I was behind a few people and didn't really get up to speed until turning onto the main road. Then I pretty much hit it harder on the bike than I ever had before. I was passing lots of people, not a position I am used to. After the initial uphill section, I may have dialed it back half a notch or so but kept the pressure on. The only fuel (or liquid, actually) I took for the whole race was Powerade on the bike - I probably took in about 10 ounces or so. I spent most of the ride in the drops - I haven't spent that long in the drops since I got my new bike in April. This was my fastest bike ride, ever.

Get some aerobars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Although I've practiced getting my shoes unfastened and my feet out while on the bike, it just didn't occur to me to do it today. Probably just as well, because there was some pretty rocky gravel under those mats leading to T2. As it was, my run into T2 felt pretty hobbley. As I was putting on my first running shoe, I could feel my calf cramping up, but flexing it worked to loosen it up again and it was fine. Got my shoes on, helmet off, grabbed my number belt and visor and I was off.

I'm always just a little bit fumbley in transition. I guess I should work on doing fast transitions during bricks.
Run
  • 28m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Unlike my previous 2 triathlons, my run here was not close to my open PR - about 3 minutes longer. But I pushed it so hard on the bike, and I'm sure I made more time on the bike than I lost on the run. I have hardly done any trail running this summer so it was a bit of a challenge avoiding the rocks and ruts - I find it mentally taxing and I didn't have much left mentally at that point. I was pushing hard the whole way. It seemed to go on forever, and I was so glad when I was done!

I don't know. I feel like I should have given more, but I think that's about what I had.
Post race
Warm down:

I did nothing, lol. Usually I walk it off for a few minutes, but all I did was drink my water and eat some bananas with peanut butter (loved the peanut butter option post-race, btw!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm really happy with this race. If anything, I've never really run hard after biking this hard, so that was an unknown and something I should work on. Also, transitions can always be improved. Considering this was my third race, I'm pretty happy with where I am.

Event comments:

This was my third triathlon and I really enjoyed this race. The bike course was very conducive for a good split (for me, at least) - rolling but not too hilly. I was leery of it being on a major divided highway, but they had it covered with cones and police at every intersection. The run course was a bit challenging due to being on trails, but on the plus side it was largely shaded. Post race food and drink was satisfying. It seemed well-organized and a good size - not overwhelmingly large but not too small either.

Last updated: 2012-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:14 | 400 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 6/76
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: point to point, two buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:01 | 15 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 22/76
Wind:
Course: Out and back on 129 - divided highway with rolling hills. Mostly uphill for the first 3 miles, rolling but little net elevation change from there to the turnaround, then you get the downhill in the last 3 miles. Going out we were in the left lane (next to the divider), coming back we were in the right lane. It was well managed by police and volunteers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 28/76
Performance: Average
Course: Entirely off-road - some gravel, some grass, some dirt trail. Not much mud considering the rains we've had this week. I wouldn't consider it particularly technical but it did require some attention to footing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes