Musselman Triathlon
84F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 12m 1s
Overall Rank = 82/829
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/65
Pre-race routine:

woke up the wife and kids, left hotel for the race. ate a bagel with cream cheese and a small clif bar (i was still full from the previous night)
Event warmup:

none. just panicking about not wearing a wetsuit.
Swim
  • 36m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was my worst swim to date. first off, i chickened out and wore the suit. i didnt want to end up freaking out half way though and not be able to finish. till i was done swimming, i was pretty darn toasty. the chop in the lake is fun though, it was like that last year and i liked it then too! anyways, i should have just left the wetsuit in the car and "manned up".
What would you do differently?:

dont wear the wetsuit in that warm of water. swim harder, i was too laxed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

whatever
Bike
  • 2h 40m 9s
  • 56.8 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

great ride! my bike computer had my speed at 21.3 mph/avg, dont know what the discrepancy is between my bike and the course length exactly. i started off fairly relaxed not wanting to push over 20 mph at first. that tactic lasted maybe the first mile and a half. that's when a dude on a Transition passed me and he had a powermeter on it. figured i'd hang with him for little since he'll be trying to keep his output steady. hung with him and played some back and forth cat and mouse with him and another guy for about 15 miles. then when it came time to head up Rt414 towards the top of Cayuga lake i opened it up. the flat,smooth road allowed me to comfortably ride 27-30mph at stretches (it's gotta be a false flat or something on there). after riding past Cayuga lake, up the hill, i noticed the thunderstorm on its way. about 5 minutes later the rain came down in sheets, cold at first, then refreshing. i never saw any lightning but i heard there was lots of it at places. the rest of the ride was either a downpour or light shower but it didnt effect my ride. fortunately i didnt flat while riding through Sampson SP - i heard others did, and that sucks! although i did see about 5 people throughout the course who were changing flats. again, good ride. neck got sore around mile 40 (due to not enough long rides). my legs felt a little sore - i knew i was going to have a little trouble on the run later on.

ride more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Run
  • 1h 51m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

first 3 miles were 7:45's and i was forcing myself to knock it back a notch. after mile 3, i forgot what my pace was, where i was, only counting down the miles left and what i wanted to drink at each following aid station. i love having drink stations every mile, its just such a game some time as to what i should be drinking when. i think i did it right, there were no GI issues, but some bloat. eventually i lost my pace and plodded along till mile 10 once getting back into Geneva. i kicked it back up a notch until mile 12 and seriously wanted to walk. about 1/4 mile or so till the finish, a guy in my AG passed me and the crowd started yelling for me to fight for my position and take my spot back. i gave just a little bit more juice and passed the guy back and kept my 10th place AG rank. cheesy, i know.

more long runs in training.
Post race
Warm down:

my thighs were completely destroyed. they hurt so bad, i couldnt lie down, sit or stand. i just wanted SOMETHING, but didnt know what. after probably a half hour the pain subsided and i could walk a little and went to get my food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough training. i really wanted to do this race in 5:05:00 this year. it looked very likely at the start of the run, but once again i faded too much.

Last updated: 2011-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/65
Overall: 154/829
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average