Charlotte, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 1h 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 180/250
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:00 and finished packing bag. Planned to eat a bowl of oatmeal, but stomach was in knots so didn't eat any. Had a peach, banana, and strawberry smoothie on the drive to the race site. Got there about 5:50. Plenty of park available. Walked through transition area, picked up my timing chip, got body marked. Sipped water and Powerade while waiting for the race to start. Watched the swim start and the transition area.
Event warmup:

Ate a banana 1 hour before start and another 30 minutes before start. Stop drinking about 20 minutes before. Did a couple quick jogs and jumped around a bit. While on the pool deck waiting for my start I did my normal stretching routine.
Swim
  • 07m 44s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was my main concern when I signed up for this race. I started swimming about 7 weeks ago and had a hard time swimming 50 yards without being completely winded.

Water was a bit cooler that I had trained in. Getting into the slide pool area helped me get adjusted to the water temperature. Once I pushed off the wall I was off and quickly got into my breathing every 3 strokes routine. After 125 yards I went to take an extra breath at the wall and found the far end of the pool deeper than the 3.5 feet I was used to. After the slight "panic" I knew I couldn't try that any more (that was a good thing as I have relied too much on the 10 second rest every 100 yards). I felt very comfortable in the pool overall. I had no one pushing me and only passed one person on the last lap who was sitting at the wall. Overall this was my best swim ever. My in-water swim time was just over 7 minutes which was 30 seconds faster than I have ever done.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on increasing my stroke rate. I might also put in a faster 100 yard swim time. I put 2:44 and ended up swimming a 2:22 100 yard average.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Took some extra time to dry my legs and feet. Put on my running shoes with socks along with my shirt which had my number already pinned. Took a big swig of Powerade and sucked down a gel pack. And then I was off.

Might would have focused on hydrating and the gel pack after getting onto the bike route. May could have save 15-20 seconds.
Bike
  • 46m 5s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I started the bike of in an easy gear. It was probably too easy as I shifted up a couple while climbing the short hill after transition. The first part was fairly flat will a small down hill section. I hit a small gas manhole that I didn't see. I don't have those in the neighborhood, lol. I caught one person and was passed by one person (on a lot nice bike than mine) on this section.

I made the turn onto Blakeney Heath Rd. Is was down hill and curvy with some shade. It was not as fast as I expected. I passed 3 people before I reached Rea Rd. Watch out for the speed hump before the turn.

Rea Rd was nice flat and smooth and the only closed of to traffic section. I passed a few people and was also passed by a few different people. There was an incline before making the turn onto Crane Rd.

Crane Rd. and New Town Rd. were fairly rolling. I was passed by several cars and also was passed by several bikers headed the opposite direction. I found myself boosted during those passed as I wanted to "look good".

Marvin Rd. had a nice down hill section followed by a tough up hill. I passed two people on this hill. One of whom was off their bike and pushing it. I did get out of the saddle to push through this uphill section.

The last section was fairly gentle and I was able to pass 1-2 more people.

The route seemed very lonely as times. There was quite a spread between bikers because of the start. I found myself encouraging those I came up on. The volunteers were really night as each of the intersections. They had cow bells and were energetically cheering each rider on. I really commend them on that as I came through over 2 hours after the first racer. They are the highlights of my bike route.

My training speed was about 15 miles a hour so I was slightly faster for the race. Probably the difference of having to slow for every intersection during training and having a cop to stop traffic for no-slow entrance/exit of the intersection.

Increase my overall cadence. I also wish I could find a way to go faster on the down hills. Even with having my gears maxed out, my wheels were spinning faster than I could pedal. Just had to ride out those hills. I might look into getting clipless pedals or at least pedal cages (may wait a few more races before I put in that investment).
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Dismounted my bike and began to run with it to my transition spot. I about dropped my bike as I was on the right side of it (I usually mount/dismount on the left) and was challenged with my fatigued legs.

I really liked having the ~20 volunteers lined up and cheering as I ran through the transition area.

Dismount on the left side of my bike.
Run
  • 27m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

After exiting the transition area there is a hill to get onto the course. Not what I needed after getting off the bike. Water station was at the top of the hill. I passed a few people walking through the water station. Took some water and was off. During the first mile I had my left calf cramp up. I pushed through and it loosened up once I hit that 1 mile marker. There were several people struggling on this section that I was able to pass. That helped to build confidence and get me into my normal running routine.

Mile 2 started slightly down hill but had a good incline until I exited the neighborhood. The 2nd and 3rd water stations were fairly close together (maybe .5 mile a part). I took water at the first one but not the second. I pass a couple more here as well.

The last mile was hot and tough. As I neared the finish line I got a boost of energy and passed 2 more people.

Push a little harder on mile 2 and 3.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished I got a nice cold towel that I immediately put on my head. I met up with another BT'er who cheered me in. I talked with my family while drinking a Powerade and eating a slice or orange and banana. Did some light stretching and then cooled down in the main lobby.

There was some really good looking food (sandwiches, pizza, pasta, and BBQ), by heavy food was the last thing I wanted on a hot race day. About 2 hours later I wish I had it, but at the time it was not appealing.

Walked my family to my car, collected my bike and transition items, and headed home while finishing of a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim was A+ from where I was 7 weeks ago. There is some possible improvement in the bike area. Probably a combination of equipment and needing more time in the saddle. Need a fast time getting my leg under me for the run. The first mile was done by the time I got into my rhythm.

Event comments:

As this was my first triathlon attending and participating in I was pleased overall. The volunteers was outstanding! Cold not have gotten through this race without them. Even after seeing over 2 hours of racers, they were enthusiastic about cheering me on. Already planning to do this again next year!

Last updated: 2012-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:44 | 300 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 215/250
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:05 | 12.7 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 202/250
Wind:
Course: The course was a fun course. I thought the hills could be a little more intense. Overall a good challenge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:26 | 03.11 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 129/250
Course: Full sun and hot on mile 1 and 3. Mile 2 is through a neighborhood with all shade trees.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 9:17 PM

User image

Matthews, NC
Subject: Tri! Ballantyne

2012-07-17 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4315034

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri! Ballantyne
Congratulations on your first race!!!!!!!  Welcome to the club!
2012-09-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4315034

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Tri! Ballantyne

Great race report Timothy!  I hope you are still training and getting better every day.

Bob

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri! Ballantyne Rss Feed