Ann Arbor Track Club
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 50m 43s
Overall Rank = 263/1702
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 40/135
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:00, grabbed a little breakfast (toast w/peanut butter and coffee), headed out to the race. Picked my chip and bib and then hopped on the shuttle to be transported to the start. Turns out our bus driver did not know where to take us, took about 45 minutes to make a 6 mile drive (it was actually a blessing since it kept us out of the rain for an extra 45 minutes). Got dropped off and then made the walk to the start line. Chatted with lisa (lisazapato) for a while and then warmed up.
Event warmup:

Not much, a little light running and some stretching.
Run
  • 50m 43s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

Started out about half way back in the pack. It took over a minute before I hit the timing mat to start the race. The start was a disaster, there was just no room to run. There were walkers (some with strollers) who positioned themselves near the front at the start. Everytime, I found a pace, I had to slowdown because there was no room to run.

Things started to spread out towards the end of mile 2. My goal time was sub 51:00 minutes. Wasn't sure if that was going to be possible after the start. Decided to run at the target pace for the middle miles and then see how I felt for the finish. The middle section of the run was awesome, beautful scenery, lots of running room, nice people, and lots of musicians on the course.

Got to the end of mile-5 and was feeling good, so I decided to take a shot at breaking 51:00. Started passing people left and right in this mile. Got tangled up with some of the 5k walkers but it was nothing like the start. Got near the end and a volunteer yelled that there was only two blocks (city blocks) to go. Knew I was going to make it so I just kept my same pace without trying to take it up another knotch. Met my goal time by 17 seconds which was a new 10k PR for me.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the front to get some more running room. Would have let me run the first two miles closer to the goal pace.
Post race
Warm down:

After you finished, you had to wait in line to get your T-shirt, then you got to eat/drink. The first thing they hand you is a piece of sausage and drinkable yogurt. Didn't think my stomach could handle either of those so I just held on to them until I could find some water.

Got some water, and once I settled down a bit, had the sausage (pretty good) and the drinkable yogurt (not so good). Grabbed some of the awesome bread they had, and then cheered on the half marathon finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had a pretty tough week of training before this race. This was not an 'A' race for me so didn't do any kind of tapering.

Event comments:

This race was lots of fun. Only problem I saw was how they had there food/drink setup at the end. Hoping to do the half marathon next year.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:43 | 10 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 40/135
Overall: 263/1702
Performance: Good
Mile-1: 8:35 Mile-2: 8:22 Mile-3: 8:12 Mile-4: 8:09 Mile-5: 8:12 Finish: 9:13
Course: Paved road that followed the huron river, with the exception of two pretty big hills (big for me), fairly flat course. Beautiful scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes