World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 55m 59s
Overall Rank = 1460/2227
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 248/341
Pre-race routine:

Oh, the things you don't know that you don't know! I picked a hell of a race for my first Tri! It was Hot!! The Heat Index was 100 degrees!!!

I woke up at 4 AM, showered, ate 3 scrambled egges and some GU chomps, had a big glass of water, drove an hour to Racine, checked in at 5:30 AM. Got my transition set, tires pumped, gear laid out, talked to my fellow competitors and just soaked in the experience. Walked about a mile down to the start and drank a bottle of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Stretched for about a half an hour, then got into the water, and swam a little. Took some pictures with my wife and daughters, it was great to have my girls (13 & 15) see me in a race!
Swim
  • 33m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great Swim, perfect conditions, clear water, sandy beachs & perfect water temperature. Since this was my first triathlon, I specifically went wide at the start to stay out of the way of the other swimmers. Once you're past the first buoy, you take a right and it's a straight point to point swim. Since I breathe from my right side, and could constantly see other swimmers, I only sited every 20 breaths. While this caused me to zig zag a little, I was able to really get into a great rhythm. There was a little bit of bumping from time to time, and at a few spots I had to slow down in order to go around some slower swimmers. Overall, I felt really good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I would try to sight more so that I don't zig zag and try to find a faster swimmer to draft.
Transition 1
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

I took my time. The run up the beach to the transition was about a 100 yards in wet sand. Then I ran through a kiddy pool to get the sand off my feet, next the wetsuit stippers took off my suit in 2 seconds, and got some sun screen. Ran to my bike, put on my gear and went.

Not Much
Bike
  • 3h 04m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off well, averaging 20 mph, but started to feel like I had to throw up about a hour in and was just really hot! I pounded fluid, goos, salt tablets, and poured 3 bottles of water on my jersey. At mile 40, I eased up since I didn't feel great. I had ridden the course 2 weeks prior in 2:50, but the combination of heat, wind, and feeling sick slowed me down. The roads started to take their toll on me too, especially the last 5 miles (funny that they didn't bother me nearly as much going out). Overall, I was happy with my time.

More training!
Transition 2
  • 06m 47s
Comments:

I guess I was a little fatigued when I got off my bike. I took my time, went to the porta potty, got more sun screen and off I went.

Don't know
Run
  • 3h 05m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This was slower than my bike! I will repeat that again, slower than my bike. My plan of nice and easy changed to a run walk, to a I'm going to finish, break 7 hours but I really don't want IV fluids or to end up in the hospital today-and I saw some of folks that did. So, I ended up running a minute, walking a minute. Honestly, I just didn't have it in me.

More Training!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and went directly to the med tent! I got two big bags of ice, put one on my neck and one on my chest, sat down in the shade for 15 minutes and drank a coke. Then I found my family, kept drinking fluids, ate a little and got my 20 minute massage from Verna-love you :). I finally started to feel pretty good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too Fat!!!

Event comments:

On January 1st, 2012 I weighed 230 lbs (I'm 5'8"). and needed a goal. The Racine Half Ironman kept me focused and helped me drop 20 lbs. I'm proud that I got back into shape and that my family was able to cheer me on!

Now that I know what it takes to finish, I want to come back next year weighing 180 lbs. (not 210) and see what I can do. I don't want to say that I underestimated this race, but until you do it, you just don't know what you don't know. I also should have done a sprint and Olympic first, but honestly, I wanted/needed this challenge to get me going. Overall, it was a great experience! I met some great BT'ers and really enjoyed myself.

See you next year!

Last updated: 2012-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 67/341
Overall: 380/2227
Performance: Good
Suit: Wahoo Sleaveless
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:22 | 56 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 181/341
Overall: 986/2227
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The roads are really rough especially in the first and last 5 miles! I lost both my water bottles from my rear cage coming into town. Great volunteers and aid stations!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:05:24 | 13.1 miles | 14m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/341
Overall: 0/2227
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat with a couple of hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-22 8:35 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2012-07-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4324580

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Awesome race! You picked a helluva tough race for your first. I heard that heat was brutal and they didn't have enough aid stations for the bike. You dida great job pushing through and should be proud of your accomplishment. Super cool your family got to watch your ace too!
2012-07-24 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Nice job, Rob! That's pretty amazing for your first ever triathlon. I'm not sure I could have even finished that race on my first try, let alone post some great times like that...especially that swim!!! Keep up the GREAT work!!! You'll kill it next year!!
2012-07-27 3:51 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Amazing job for your first Triathlon.  That takes guts.  I felt EXACTLY the same way about the last 5 miles of the bike.  I didn't seem to mind it nearly as much on the first 5 miles as the last 5 miles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed