Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 26s
Overall Rank = 85/543
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/39
Pre-race routine:

Ahhh, "routine". Yeah right!
Event warmup:

Nothing at all, just walked around a tiny bit and paid attention to the start protocol.
Run
  • 1h 12m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy! I was not ready for this race course. There was definitely a lot of competition at this event that was well trained for the hilly and winding course. I just couldn't hang today. To my credit however, I was suffering from a head cold for over the past three days and I think that may have played a small part in my only able to hold my pace for about 3 miles. After that it was a suffer-fest to hang onto as much of my race pace for as long as I could. It was just a battle of attrition for the remaining 7 miles as my energy level failed and I was getting caught and passed by all kinds of runners. I was just glad to be out there and I never gave into my temptations to take a walk break.
What would you do differently?:

I could have gotten some actual hill training to better prepare for this style of run. Also, if I had my Nike+ Sportband I could have kept better tabs on my pace for the beginning of the race to have a more evened out pace overall and see if I was getting too slow for my proven abilities. It was a surprise to finish and get my avg pace read out. I thought for sure that I'd be around an 8:00 minute mile but I guess I hung onto a respectable pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special. I had only one minor semi calf cramp and I seemed to be ok after just a couple of minutes of recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was out of my regular training for a while there and certainly my lack of hill training was a huge factor. Especially when you measure my lack of training against the competition at this event. People came to play today and I was not able to keep pace.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:26 | 10 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/39
Overall: 85/543
Performance:
Course: Winding trail run on crushed limestone path. Plenty of shade and plenty of hills for sure. This was a challenging course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?