General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
80?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 13s
Overall Rank = 195/520
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up later than I meant to, ran around the house trying to pick up my gear and not forget anything. Had to stand in line to pick up my packet, and then try to figure out what to do and how to set everything up in the transition areas.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up. Just stretched a bit while waiting for the swim to start.
Swim
  • 04m 48s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great. Haven't done an open-water swim in a few years, but it all came back so quickly. I wish the swim could've been longer. We started one at a time. I passed about 15-20 people, and did not get passed.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have gone a little faster, but I was concerned about spending too much energy too early.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

I mlost so much time here, and so many people that I passed on the swim caught up to me (and some even passed me) before I even had my shoes on. I ran into the transition, I just wasn't very quick getting inot my running clothes/shoes from there.

Need to practice this transition. Putting on socks took forever, and actually having a tri-suit or shorts might have saved me a little time as well.
Bike
  • 46m 29s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This part of the race was pretty horrible for me. I came off what felt like a great swim, and then started getting passed almost immediately by the more experienced cyclists. I knew this would happen, but I felt like I was going as fast as I could, and some of the guys out there were passing me like I was barely moving. On a more positive note, this is the fastest pace I've ever biked, probably because all of my training rides involved traffic and frequent stops for stop signs, red lights, etc.

I need to spend more time training on my bike. I need to get more comfortable making turns at higher speeds, get better at going up hills, and try to develop a cadance that I can maintain. Lots of work to do, but definitely the most room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was a decent transition. I knew that my first one was bad, and I was determined to do better on this one. I had to come to a stop before I dismounted my bike, but then I ran the bike to my spot, racked it, took off my helmet, took a swig of Gatorade, and then started running.

Need to learn to dismount quicker. Also could have removed or at least unclipped helmet once I was dismounted and running.
Run
  • 25m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt horrible during the run. I walked for a bit on the three big hills (Pedestrian bridge, 1st, and 3rd), but tried to run as much as I could. Made sure to run the entire last mile. Didn't feel too great, but I actually did a faster time than the July 4th 5K that I ran in downtown Nashville less than a month ago, which was a similar course.

Force myself to run the whole thing. No walking.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area until my legs stopped hurting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience?

Event comments:

I had a lot of fun. This was my first triathlon, but from what I could tell the race seemed like it was fairly well organized. I will probably be back next year.

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:48 | 400 yards | 01m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/39
Overall: 29/520
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo
Course: About 100 yards against the current to the first buoy. Then turned 45ish degrees going with the current but also across the river to the next buoy. Then turned back toward the start going across the river but still with the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:46:29 | 12.43 miles | 16.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/39
Overall: 327/520
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: A few truns to get to Elmington, but then it was straight out and back. A few hills, but not too bad compared to other places in Nashville.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:39 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/39
Overall: 175/520
Performance: Average
Course: Started by going up and across the pedestrian bridge, which is a steep incline. Curved around to 1st Ave, and head up the hill until Union St. Then round Union to get to 2nd Ave, and head all the way back to Broadway. Round Broadway to get to 3rd Ave, and head back up the hill to Union. From there, take the bridge back across the river, run around the stadium to get ot the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes