Trimemphre
29C / 84F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 22s
Overall Rank = 184/277
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove to the Race site, arrived an hour before my wave started, they had already sent the HIM groups and some other waves so transition was done into race sections based on what distance you were racing. Registered and got a good spot in transition. Overheard that wetsuits would not be allowed due to water temp, which was disappointing but once I was swimming was very understandable.
Event warmup:

Walked over to the swim start (500 m) and swam about 200m total while waiting for my wave to start. It was warm out already so I didn't have to do too much.
Swim
  • 32m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was very choppy due to the wind and there was some white caps starting to show, The first 100 m or so was just running into the water, it was extremely shallow the entire way around the course with some guys getting up and walking small sections. My first 200 m of swimming I decided to take easy, did a little breast stroke just to get my bearings and avoid the other swimmers. Once I started freestyle I passed a bunch of guys in front of me, but the chop made it super difficult to breathe without getting a lung full of water as well as sighting was almost impossible from this position as I could just see the wave in front of me. So sighting was done with 2-3 strokes of breast stroke and then back into freestyle. Once we rounded the buoys and started coming back the waves helped a little but sighting and breathing was still difficult. I got passed by a few racers in the next wave, which is not uncommon for me. I swam until my fingers were hitting the bottom and then stood up and almost laughed!! I had another 50-75 m till the exit. I just decided to run out as it was too shallow to swim. Got to the stairs and was able to run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Hope that it wasn't as windy so I could sight and breathe better.....but c'est la vie.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

We were not given a transition split as they were included in the bike split, my Wife timed me, just by chance so I was able to get the time. Ran to my spot, HR was through the roof!! I always feel dizzy and disorientated in T1, still haven't figured out how to deal with this. No wetsuit to take off, so just had to put on the helmet, shoes, etc and go. The transition was large and it was a long distance to the exit point. Eventually got there and *hopped* on the bike. (it was a horrible mount but I didn't crash!! Pride still intact!)

Learn the shoes on the bike mount, not be dizzy in T1, as well as by able to calm my HR...... Still things to improve on.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 31s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.74 km/hr
Comments:

The first 3 km was nice and flat with a gentle climb to the first turn, then the fun started!! The hills were not too steep but some were long and sustained while others were like small steps to get up to the next hill. This did not bode well for me being a bigger guy, but man were the descents fun!! I hit 83.7 km/hr on one of them. A small section near the town of Austin had some pretty bad roads, with big potholes and cracks but other than that the road was decent. I spent a lot of time in my smallest gears grinding up some hills and was starting to get pretty hot from the climbing. I ended up pouring some water on my head from my bottle to try and stay cool. The last 2 km was a nice reprieve to spin the legs before the run and get set-up for dismount.

Train more hills!!! and know the course better, I had never ridden this course before so I had no idea what to expect, it will be a different story if I ever do it again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Again no official time, just what my wife timed for me. Pretty good considering the size of transition. Helmet and bike shoes off, hat and running shoes on...off I go. There is a long run to the actual run course as you have to run through a "corral" around transition and then back to the start of the course.

Nothing, went fairly smoothly, learn to dismount with shoes on the bike. But this was much better than T1 so I was happy.
Run
  • 1h 06m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 38s  min/km
Comments:

So this is where the wheels feel off... :( Started out with a good pace, got water and gatorade at the first aid station and kept going, HR kept climbing and I knew I was in for a long run. The bike took a lot out of my legs and my goal of 3 hrs was going to be close. I ended up walking a couple of small sections as well as most of the aid stations, continuously pouring water over my head and taking in some gatorade. Some of the community were out with their hoses and would spray us down if we wanted which was greatly appreciated and much needed. There is a nice downhill section on a shaded path that when I was on it I felt 100X better so I knew that I was overheating. By the second lap I was getting goosebumps and decided to walk again to try and cool down/monitor my HR as I know this was getting bad. Finished off the last 2 km *strong* (considering what I had left). Originally I was hoping to do the run in 55 mins but considering the conditions 10 mins slower was not too bad. Still pretty disappointed as I missed my goal by just 5 mins!

Considering the bike course and the heat, not much, try and stay cool, but did that as well as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some watermelon and did some light stretching. I was exhausted and just wanted to lie down on the grass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, Hills, Choppy water.......Anything else I can blame it one?!?!? (note: sarcasm...red font won't work)

Event comments:

The race was well done, fairly organized, the only thing I would have liked to have more aid stations out there as it was super hot. The post race food was decent but nothing superb.

Last updated: 2012-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:31 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 0/277
Performance: Average
Suit: None allowed
Course: Clockwise rectangle that was rounded at the far end. Separate start and finish points with stairs to exit the water which was nice.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:31 | 40 kms | 27.74 km/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Bike time 1:19:20 Cal: 1572 Av HR: 173 Max HR:186
Wind: Some
Course: The course was Hilly! Way hillier then I was lead to believe, there was almost no flat sections, either uphill or downhill for the entire 40 km.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:19 | 10 kms | 06m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 17/19
Performance: Bad
Cal: 1378 Av HR: 176 Max HR:194
Course: 2 loops of a 5 km course, one significant hill about half way around the course, very little shade but the community was great.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes