PR Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 36s
Overall Rank = 194/244
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Got off a little later than I wanted - guess I need to fudge our leaving time by 15 minutes or so for TSW - and then we missed a turn and got to the parking lot late. Plenty of time to get set up but I was a little frazzled and trying to hurry. Forgot to put the anti-blister powder in my shoes, didn't notice until T1. For breakfast, I had a banana, peach and pom juice smoothie with some protein powder thrown in, and half a bagel with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Put on the wetsuit and got into the water to swim around a bit, get used to the temperature, get the suit worked out.
Swim
  • 12m 25s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very pleased with this swim; I glanced at the Garmin when I came out of the water and I was at about 11:40, which is not far from what I do in a pool at this distance. But I was definitely breathing harder than in the pool, so much that on the home stretch I had to take some long breathing breaks kicking on my side. I could never quite get the breathing synchronized.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I don't think. This was a top-notch swim for me, embarrassing as that is. My improvement here is what made the difference in being three or so minutes faster overall than last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Transitions are slow for me here because I'm trying to run - either in bike shoes or barefoot - on a parking lot with a primary surface of broken seashells; it's tough enough on the bike shoes but hell in bare feet (but that's T2).

I was about 30 seconds faster here than last year, which I attribute to getting the wetsuit off quicker. I should spend more time practicing T1, but I don't know how much more I have to gain unless I sprint through it and learn to do the flying mount onto the bike.
Bike
  • 35m 11s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I maintained a pretty decent pace on the bike without going overboard, but I wasn't happy with the result in the end, about two-three minutes slower than last year. NP was 178 so I obviously had more to give, but it felt like pushing harder than that would've turned into a strength workout and I didn't think that'd be conducive on the run.

Well, main item would be to ride the tri-bike but that was in Oxford. We were supposed to go to Oxford last weekend and bring the bike back with us, but with the heat and humidity indexing into the 100s we decided to stay home. I think that would've made at least a little difference.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Slow because of that danged run through the seashells on bare feet. I noticed the people around me didn't do that, so maybe I didn't save any time by twinkle-toeing through the shells into transition.

Nothing...well, flying dismount?
Run
  • 31m 48s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run for me, coming in at under a 10:00 pace which was the overall goal. I only walked briefly through the water stops, kept up a reasonable pace throughout, picked it up a little at the end. I felt good for most of this; the overcast sky made a huge difference at keeping the sun and temperature at bay. I do wonder how much of a factor my slower bike leg was in having this good run.

Not too much; this is the way I'd like all my run legs to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, to keep moving. Walked into the lake up to my neck to cool off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wrong bike, slower than expected transitions.

Event comments:

Love this race; I could almost rate this as too easy because of the short bike leg, but it's just fun to do and it doesn't take a lot of time to finish or train for. Comes at a good "in between" time for me in the season. This group has been doing it so long they have it down pat. Great volunteers too, I don't know where they get them all.

Last updated: 2012-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:25 | 437 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 218/8
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course keeping buoys to left.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:11 | 10.2 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 160/244
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Mounting just out of the shell lot that houses transition, the ride takes a couple of turns through Mays Landing before heading out on one of those classic South Jersey backcountry roads that gives every impression of going nowhere. That part of the ride is closed to traffic, which is always nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:48 | 03.3 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 197/244
Performance: Good
Course: Flat run through the neighborhood surrounding the lake...some good shade along the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes