General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Glenview, Illinois
United States
Glenview Park District
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 18s
Overall Rank = 21/289
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

PBJ at home. Rode over to the race (a perk of having the race right in your neighborhood). Got set up in transition.
Event warmup:

Stretching and a little jog (just a few hundred yards). I also had a 5 minute spin on my ride from home over to the sign-in.
Swim
  • 04m 36s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I came into this race in the best swim shape of my life, so I had high expectations. I caught the person in front of me after about 50 yards, and then saw the red kick board drop in front of me at either 75 or 125 yards. The kick board means you've got to wait at the wall for the person behind you to pass. I turned to look and still had a gap before the person behind me. It turned out that the guard was monitoring 2 lanes and was signaling the person one lane over, not me, but for some reason she dropped the board in my lane and was waving aside the person one lane over. I have no idea why . . . maybe too chaotic. By the time I realized the mistake, the person behind me was at the wall, and the guard made me wait. I sat on his feet for 50 yards and then 2 or 3 more people stacked up behind me, while I was going slow behind the person in front of me. At the next turn, the guard let the person in front of me go, held me back, and let all of the people behind me go forward. I spent the last 150 yards or doing a slow free or breast stroke.

I was really, really frustrated. Based on when the people who were originally in front of me got out of the pool, this wound up costing me at least twenty seconds, probably more. Had it not been for this glitch, I think I would have been about 10th overall and 5th in my age group. While I was fuming when I got out of the water, I tried to shake it off on the run over to my bike. There was nothing I could do about it, and $h!t happens. I just tried (not entirely successfully) to get focused on the rest of the race and was determined to hit it hard on the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Avoid getting hijacked on the swim!
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Good T1. No mistakes or time wasted.

Nothing
Bike
  • 27m
  • 10 miles
  • 22.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Strong bike! I felt cruddy during the first two miles. I was frustrated from the swim and focused on what had gone wrong. I was happy with myself for making a conscious decision to get out of Negative Land and focus on what I could still do to affect the outcome of my race.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I was pretty efficient here. No mistakes.

The only thing that I could have don differently would have been to run harder out of T2.
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal on the run was to finish under an 8:00 pace (which I haven't done before with a Tri). I was a little worried that I has pushed too hard on the bike, but once I got started, I felt pretty good. I didn't panic when I saw my pace drifting up from the mid-7:00's up towards 8:00. I felt like I was in a groove that I could sustain when I hit the 7:50's, and I just held on form there. Pushed when I could and eased back a bit when I felt like it was too much. I tried to shift into a slightly faster gear with a mile left and picked it up a little more for the last quarter mile to finish strong.

In retrospect. I might have been capable of pushing a little harder on the run, but on the whole, I think I ran this the right way. Once I started off and was feeling good, I knew I would break an hour if I didn't blow up, so I was running to protect that goal a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Massage. Food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, and a little bit of bad officiating in the pool. As I do more sprints at a higher level of fitness, I think I'll get the confidence to push harder at times.

Event comments:

I love this race. I'll always try to fit this one in to my season each summer. Also, I've got to give a shout out to the crew at the top of the hill. A big contingent of some of Glenview's Korean (I think) residents are always out there with drums, bells, etc. cheering and providing for a supportive race experience. As a participant in the race, I gotta say that they make you feel pretty special as you work your way up and down that hill (twice).

Last updated: 2012-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:36 | 300 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 32/289
Performance: Bad
Suit: De Soto Shorts and 78 degree Top
Course: Snake swim back and forth over 6 lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:00 | 10 miles | 22.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 24/289
Wind: None
Course: Maybe there was a little, but really not a factor. The weather gods blessed us today.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:36 | 03.11 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 42/289
Course: Lollipop. Out to a large loop and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-29 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed