BuDuRacing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 40s
Overall Rank = 26/98
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 to eat a bowl of Frosted Flakes, had a protein shake with banana, greek yogurt, coconut milk, a little protein powder. Drank water and a gatorade on the way to the race. Ran for 8 minutes and stretched dynamically. Put the wetsuit on, got wet, swam about 200 and got ready for the race.
Event warmup:

Pre-race goals: Finish in under 3 hours (weather dependant)
Swim: Average a 1:45x100, draft for the majority of the race, do not start fast and suffer the remaining portion of the swim, no fogging goggles
Bike: Drink 2 bottles of water before the top of the hill, stay in aero position the whole bike, maintain cadence of 90+ for hill climb, recover on downhill steeps
Run: Average an 8:10 mile pace max if legs are smashed, drink only water on run, run the whole time
Swim
  • 29m 15s
  • 1600 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started to the inside, went out at a pre-decided pace, found a draft line and hung on. I specifically focused on drafting and it helped keep my energy up. I lost the draft pack after the turnaround, I need to work on a little more speed to hang on to the draft pack the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Stay in the middle back of the draft pack to not fall off with straglers next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Steep uphill start so I put my shoes on at transition. I couldn't get my velcrow off on my zipper so it took me a lot longer than I was used to to get the wetsuit off. After that I got out of there easily.

Get my wetsuit off earlier
Bike
  • 1h 43m 42s
  • 28 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I met all my goals on the ride. I did have a mechanical failure on the downhill. My cassette came loose and my chain got stuck in the loose gears. I hand tightened the cassette and made it to transition without another problem. I pushed really hard to make it to transition in time.

Use a tool to give exact torque on installing parts so problems like this don't happen. Also order wheels on time to get the tri bike in the race! Eat two Margarita shot blok packs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

No problems in transition, everythign worked great

n/a
Run
  • 48m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My right quad cramped early in the run, I pushed the fluids to get a side ache. I also started the run with a 161 hr to maintain to try and recover somewhat from the bike. I tried to do the first 3 at a reasonable pace to pick it up on the last 3. I kept pushing the water and when I hit the hill I tried to keep my pace and head up. When I got to the turnaround and headed downhill not taking water the last two aid stations hurt me, my left hamstring cramped and Heidi passed me after I had to slow down significantly. I didn't walk but the cramp went away and when the run flattened out my legs felt ok but not great across the finish.

Push more fluids or have another high in sodium supplement.
Post race
Warm down:

My feet blisters kept me from really cooling down and my cramps. I took a glass full of Heed recovery, and then a chocolate milk, and a few cups of water. I also had fries and a shake when I felt like eating later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps, I wasn't prepaired for this kind of dehydration/sweating. I should assume next time that I need more salt.

Event comments:

So many volunteers on the run portion, that was great, lots of water stations.

Last updated: 2012-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:15 | 1600 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 30/98
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: Wade start head north to the bouy, right turn, followed by another right turn all the way down past the start to the boat launch.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:42 | 28 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 28/98
Performance: Average
I pushed the HR too much to try and make my goal and I felt it on the run. I don't regret my decision, it was fun finding my limit
Wind: Little
Course: 12 mile uphill into the wind usually and a 16 mile descent into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good