FIRM
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m
Overall Rank = 117/185
Age Group = 29
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:20. Packed up the car with all the gear. Had all the bags packed the day before. Ate a ego walful before we left at 6:20. Got to Lowell around 7:15 and got a good parking spot right next to the Transition area. Got my race packet (19) and moved over to rack my bike. It started to drizzel a little bit. Got my bag unpacked and used the extra towel i packed to cover my gear.
Event warmup:

Got my wet suit on and did a lap out a little bit. Water was warm and felt good. I used new goggles and they worked out very well.
Swim
  • 24m 49s
  • 1600 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the gun went off started wading in a bit letting some people get ahead of me. Worked well but I felt I was too far back in the pack. I didn't get to draft off of any one and I didn't swim as hard as i should have. My sighting was very poor. The first bouy was good, but after that I was all over the place and even swam into one of the bouys. I ended going off couse a bit. On the second loop i started to swim harder but that caused me to get off track even more which made me swim harder to get back on track. I was getting passed by people in the second wave.
What would you do differently?:

Start out a little sooner, and swim harder to get into a rhythm early. sight better and do more OWS.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went pretty quick. I don't have a time because i don't think i went over the mat. they didn't I think i was supposed to go over it at the exit of the transition area but no one was tell me where to go. My Clif Blocks fell out of my pocket at some point.

Get a Bento box, or top tube box to put the clif blocks into. They fell out and I was not able to try eating during a race.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 35s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to run out of the transition area but I don't think that I stepped on the timing mat. Got onto the bike at a running start and began to peddle hard. Hart rate was little elevated but cam back down to a good zone. Started to get good speed averagins about 18 to 19 mph. There was 2.5 miles of unpaven section that my pace slowed to 17 mph. I got passed a lot in the first 6 miles. Once I hit the hill I started to pick up some some spots and keep my general place. Finished the first loop in about 35 min. Relized that I could finish the bike in about 1:10. And that I could do the run in under an hour, and be able to finish the race in under 2.5 hours. Up the pace on the bike because I knew that I would be hitting the un paved section and slow down. Once I got pas the gravel, i picked up the pace again and tried to keep it close to 19. I knew that I was pushing it a little harder then I should but i felt good. Hit the hills good, I did get passed by people on the sprint but and it was a little confusing if they where sprint or olympic. Dismounted well and ran into the transition area. I felt that i got enought to drink on the Bike.

Nothing, very good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Got out of shoes quick and put on socks. Ended up getting my right sock over my chip which ended up being bad. got my shoes on and had to take the time and double knot.

get yankz laces for shoes. and not put socks over chip
Run
  • 49m 13s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off the run with a high hart rate. got my HR under control and then started to pick up the pace. Knew I had to run below 9 min mile to break the 2.5 hr mark. Was able to keep close to a 8:20 pace. Tried to keep up with a guy that looked to be in my age group but couldn't tell be because the marking wasn't there. Before the 3 mile mark started to eat a gu but it was aweful only ate about half before just giving up. Got some water, drank some and some on the head. kept the pace up and tried to keep up with the guy. Ended up passing him around the 4 mile mark. He and i went back and forth untill 1.5 miles when he decided to take off. Wanted to make sure i had enough in the tank so I just held my pace. Finished strong, didn't pick up the pace to much but Felt very good.

Try to get my HR to a good level.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing for cool down. Got some water and a couple snacks. Waited for some results and packed up to leave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training to get faster.

Last updated: 2012-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:49 | 1600 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 85/185
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wet Suit sleeveless
Course: Trianlge shaped 2 loops. Each loop 1/2 mile. Had to get out of the water and run along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:35 | 22 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loop course. 11 miles each loop.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good