United States
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Richard (verve500) and I went down to Pueblo and did Red Canon Century (RCC). We met Brett (Alpine87) who turned out to be a very nice guy and a great rider. Also he is a climber too, so it was fun to chat during the ride and at the dinner party.

Bike
  • 6h 55m
  • 110 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

It is not a race, so I didn't go all out, just treated it as a long training ride. I kept steady effort and pace throughout entire course. Even though I got tired in the last 30 miles, I didn't slow down.

RCC did not impress me at all. The course was very poorly marked - very annoying. I almost missed the first turn to a 100 and 50 mile course and followed 25 mile course, but turned around right away. Then all 3 of us missed the turnoff to a 100 mile course and followed the 50 mile course for 3 miled before we figured it out. Plus the course was 104 miles instead of 100 to begin with so we were in for 110. After that there were a few additional close calls, but we didn't take another detour. Also very few people were doing a 100 miles, only about 50 riders I think. Mostly 50 mile and 25 mile riders. That made it for a very lonely ride. I knew it was small scale ride, and didn't expect Elephant Rock crowds. But it was just WAY TOO small, I pass more people on my training rides in Denver. The 3 of us tried to stay together (sort of) in the beginning (actually, the guys ran ahead of me, but at least they waited at the first few aid stations). After mile 30 rest stop verve500 took off, and we didn't see him again till the finish. Alpine87 and myself stayed together for the next 40 miles. Then he decided to take a longer break at the 70 mile rest stop and I kept going. I passed about 5 or 6 more people in the next 40 miles. That's how lonesome it was. The aid stations were nice with ice cold gatorade and water, oreos, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and fruit. The volunteers were really nice and helpful too. One problem - they didn't know their mileage very well. At the rest stop 17 miles away from the 70 mile rest stop they told they were at 80 mile mark. ???!! By that time I had 92 on my computer and expected between 16 and 18 more. If it was only 80, that would mean 24 more (based on 104M course). I knew they were wrong and they were closer to the finish than 24, but for about 15 miles after that I rode not knowing how much more I had ahead, until I got into Canon City and knew it had to be just a couple miles left. Also there were no patroling or supporting vehicles on the whole course. I understand that the budget is limited. But basically if anything happened to me or my bike I would have been on my own until the next rider would catch up to me, which wouldn't happen for a while.

Post race
Warm down:

At the end of the ride spagetti lunch and wine from the hosting winery was served. That was nice. The food was good. The only problem is that they stopped serving at a certain time while a few century riders were still out there. I think some lunches were packed for them, but still, that wasn't cool I thought.

Event comments:

It's nice to pay $35 instead of $115 (like for the Triple) for a century ride, but I guess you get what you pay for. This race needs to get just a little bigger before I would do it again. Maybe better marketing? Not such pathetic web site?

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Biking
06:55:00 | 110 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: From the start climb 10 miles up the canyon to the first aid station, then back down. The pretty part is over at this point. Then follow the shoulder of the highway south to Florence (past Federal prison - woo hoo!), south to Wetmore and east to Pueblo. Get in the state park on a bike path for a few miles, then baack to Canon City on highway 50, where we pass Colorado state prison. Lots of rolling hills and headwind. 4500 feet of climbing total
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Red Canyon Century

2006-06-11 5:33 PM
in reply to: #450348

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Red Canyon Century
Well, you said it all... I guess I don't have to post a race report now. Thanks.

I would add that the course would have been better in reverse... saving the pretty canyon loop for the last 25 miles instead of the first 25 miles...

Overall the course was pretty boring and very difficult with the wind.

Still - The Lilia-monster rode like armstrong...
2006-06-11 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great job Lilia - you were steady the whole day!

That spaghetti and wine at the end was great!  It was really cool that you both were still there! 

The day would have been a lot less fun if I hadn't run in to you guys!  C'mon!  I'll bet you guys will meet me there again next year!  We just have to plan to stay somewhere close by next time.  Maybe we can get a few more BTers to join us!

2006-06-12 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
I read your report and Brett's...I think the only thing that I missed was getting to meet all of you.  Sounds like it'll be a good ride in a few years if they can get some more folks in it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Canyon Century Rss Feed