United States
DQEvents
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 33s
Overall Rank = 2/410
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Victoria and I stayed at a motel next to a strip club. Enough said.
Event warmup:

swam out past breakers and did a few sprints.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

So glad they decided to make it a north to south swim instead of last years out and back swim. It would have been a shit show overwise. I loved the fact their was a current and waves. I was in the 2nd wave which gave me a chance to watch the effect of the current. I angled myself a bit further to the left and it worked perfect, hit the bouy spot on. At the 3rd bouy and again angled myself inward so I hit the beach right at the shoot. Caught a great wave almost to the beach. The run to T1 was as long as the swim itself. What I don't undestand is why people will swim hard and then walk up the beach! I passed at least 6 people running up the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I cut my sleeveless shorter and sprayed the inside leg area with spam. It's a $50 suit so I'm not overly concerned about harming it. Shit worked great, slipped right over my heel and timing chip.
Bike
  • 26m 40s
  • 11 miles
  • 24.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit the gas pedal and the legs responded but after 5mins they'd had enough of burning and decided we were going to ride hard but comfortable. Whatever, two weeks post IM I was just happy to be doing a short race and that ocean swim was the main reason I did the race. I missed the 1st turn as I was following a guy and there wasn't a volunteer at the corner. We realized it after 10seconds at the next corner and quickly turned around. Oh well, it's in the rules to know the course and I've do the race before and should have be actively nagivating and not blindly following another racer. 2 & 3 loop it got PACKED with the other 409 racers.
What would you do differently?:

I ordered a new 11-23 cassette as I've been running a 11-28 all season for LP training. For flat courses I think having all the gears in the low/mid range will help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I spaced out on dismounted and getting my feet out of my shoes. Basically got one foot out and then had to stop and take the other off while standing still. Then I stumbled with my bike on the curb, my head wasn't fully in the race. Stumbled getting my shoes on and will switch back to my Newtons for sprints. They're just easier to slip on than my saucony kinvaras.
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off well, caught up to Ross and another guy within the 1st mile. Once I hit the beach the wind was solid in your face. Caught up to another 2 guys from the 1st wave around 1.5miles. Near the turnaround I saw the race leaders from wave 1. There were 3 guys in a pack and then I saw scoogie a good 30seconds behind. Seeing him that far behind gave my legs an excuse to shut it down. We decided that if he's 30secs off their lead than I'm not within reach of the overall win. Hit the turn and the vacuum of the tailwind made it an oven. I pulled back to a pace that wasn't comfortable but wasn't my normal race pace. With 50yards to go I see Chuck and the guys hollaring at me to run! Didn't really register that they were trying to tell me I needed to sprint to win it.
Afterwards we decided if this happens again to maybe send someone out further so I could pickup then pace and not try a Usain Bolt the last 100meters.
Post race
Warm down:

bacon, sausage, eggs, and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ahhh Ironman Lake Placid.

Event comments:

After party at Bar A makes it a stellar event. Drinks and a breakfast buffet were awesome. We need a Bar A in Westmont.

Last updated: 2012-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 440 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/410
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: South to North swim with slight surrent pulling south to north.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:26:40 | 11 miles | 24.75 mile/hr
Overall: 2/410
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:30 | 03.11 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 5/410
Performance: Below average
Course: out around a small lake then up onto the main drive along the ocean for an out and back. Wind in your face on the out and deadman hot on the way back. Hear some say it was actually longer than 3.1miles but that usually isn't the case with a D&Q event.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?