General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Days vs Bad Days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-06 9:19 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Good Days vs Bad Days
I try to keep a fairly good log, and I do have a training plan. The intention is to find the right workouts that will keep me in shape, allow me to make some improvements, and most importantly keep it injury free and fun.

I guess you can say every workout is a good workout. But each year I become more and more convinced that I will have good days when I feel like I can run or bike forever, and bad days when I want to stop running after 20 minutes.

But the reasons for the good days vs bad appear very complex and almost impossible to predict.

A bad day was a run this past Saturday. I started out fine, but the heat/humidity was off the charts where I live. I was ok for 3 miles, but after 4 miles I was sweating so much my shoes were making that squishy sound. I stopped briefly when I could not keep my eyes open from the sweat. I literally looked like I jumped in the pool. I wanted to do 8 or 10, but only did 5. So I did 4 repeat sprints of 200M before calling it a day. I was completely spent.

Then there was Sunday. I took the bike out, but based on the day before I had very limited expectations. But something happened. I did 3 miles of warmup and then spent the next 26 miles riding harder than I had in months. I was going almost 1-2mph faster (both into and with wind) than I had on even some races. I had done this bike course so many times, I remembered all too well many past rides where I faded after point A or Point B. Not today. I rode hard the whole way, even picking up the pace that last few miles. I could have gone longer but had to be back home for family obligations.

When I got off the bike I was drenched, but it was a different feeling, a good feeling. Later that day I did 60 minutes of hard swimming in the town pool.

So what does it all mean? I wish I knew.

My heart rate was almost 10 bpm higher while riding the bike than during the run the day before. Its usually the opposite.

Something I ate, or didn't eat? cant say

Better night of sleep before the bike? not sure either

Is there a way to build off that good workout on the bike? Or does an intense ride like that suggest a day of rest?

For those who have those swings in good days vs bad days, are you still searching for reasons yourself, or by now do you just accept it?

2012-08-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4348701

User image

Subject: RE: Good Days vs Bad Days
you know I had my share;
When my woman left home for a brown eyed man,
Well, I still don't seem to care.
2012-08-06 9:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by wgraves7582 2012-08-06 9:32 AM
2012-08-06 9:31 AM

Philadelphia
eat, sleep, hydration, prior 2 days workouts, and weather are usually the main factors i look at especially when i have bad workouts.  I had a horrible run friday morning around 11am, planned for 8 miles with 4 miles tempo in the middle at 1/2 marathon pace, but came to an abrupt stop around 4.5.  looking back i had a poor nights sleep, was dehydrated before i started, didnt eat all morning, and it was 100 degree heat index (95 with 65 humidity).  later at night around 630 after eating and hydrating throughout the day, temps were a more manageable low 80s with less humidity, i did a slow 2 mile warm up 3 mile tempo faster then 1/2 marathon pace and 2 mile cooldown and felt great.  poor planning often = poor execution that goes for workouts as well as races....i learned my lesson that day
2012-08-06 9:35 AM

Pro

too many variables to predict.

But it's all those bad days that make the good days possible.

2012-08-06 10:33 AM

Veteran

Yea, happens to me all the time and as others have said I try to focus on how much rest I got the night before, how much I ate during my last meal, how much I ate in the last hour, hydration, etc. 

I read one time a Lance saying that goes like..."during a race or training sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail."  I just need to understand that I will have "those days" and learn from them to improve in the future.

2012-08-06 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4348712

DanielG - 2012-08-06 9:23 AM you know I had my share; When my woman left home for a brown eyed man, Well, I still don't seem to care.

I like Dread Zep's version....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Days vs Bad Days Rss Feed