United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 10s
Overall Rank = 259/1301
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/68
Pre-race routine:

Considering I got into Pensacola around midnight and didn't get to bed until 2 am and I woke up at 5:30, my routine was to prepare myself NOT to fall asleep during the race. I basically walked to the packet pickup, went to the store for a diet coke and Rice Krispie treat. Dropped off my shirt at the hotel, walk back to the buses (they drove us to the start), then wait around and drink as much water as my bladder would hold.
Event warmup:

Once again, I received a Walker's bib instead of runner's. WTF?? Do I not know how to fill a form on Active.com? Putting the shame away, I positioned myself with the runners! I hit the bathroom many times to chase away the pre-race jitters.
Run
  • 26m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My "official time" was 26:42 but my Garmin said 26:10. There was no start timing mat so they just started the time whenever. I knew I was faster than the results. Well faster for me! Anyway, it was hot and humid. I was hydrated but sweating like a pig. When I got to the starting line, I look up and there is a hill. Not gigantic but not something I wanted to see at the beginning! I was in the middle of the pack and when I tried to go to the right along the grass I twisted my ankle! Great job! I was hoping under 27 minutes and I accomplished. There was race booty aplenty which was nice. The run over the bridge was a little harsh for me but the race ended quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Get in at a decent hour!
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to drink as much water as possible. They also had popsicles and towels which was nice. I started to feel really weird like I was going to pass out. Pretty sure it was a combination of sleep deprivation, the heat, humidity and the race. I walked over to the food. It was a nice spread but I had no appetite. Brought some back to the hotel for the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to perform faster is limitless. I thought I could potentially get under 26 minutes but I guess that will have to wait.

Event comments:

If I wasn't so tired I would have stayed and had a few beers but it was off to a family event. The organization put on a great event!

Last updated: 2012-07-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:10 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/68
Overall: 259/1301
Performance: Good
Course: Around Gulf Breeze neighborhood, then over the bridge to Pensacola beach!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes