General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cascade, Maryland
United States
Racine Multisports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 53s
Overall Rank = 99/148
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

up at 0430 after night of intermittent sleep not abnormal before triathlon for me, at Fort Ritchie for 0530, transition set up by 0620; brought bucket to sit on for shoe change, ate protein bar, cliff bar, coffee, 20oz decaf ice tea, around 0530,
Event warmup:

mild stretching, some eccentric calf raises for achilles
Swim
  • 32m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

felt good in swim, thought I might be getting 1:50 per 200..HR was 144 exiting first loop and 142 exiting second loop;
got one kick to the face on first loop but no big deal...one grouper that wierded me out a bit....
What would you do differently?:

take a swim class to improve stroke
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

heard a thump thump thump..checked brakes, checked rear wheel alignent, got off second time to find speedo pick up was hitting magnet...must have been knocked out of alignment on rack

check bike one last time in transition before racking
Bike
  • 1h 21m 39s
  • 23.82 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

tough bike for an OLY, passed many like they were hardly moving on descent with TRI bike in aero. Would have preferred road bike for climbs with lower gears....if I had to do it again it would still be a toss up for tri vs road
Got a bee sting to medial quad on mile 20. Big welt..

July was a low training month due to injured achilles. Would have liked to had more miles in. It was humid and the sweat was pouring. Drank ~37 oz of 22 Gatorade/15 water. Destructed on the run...should have gone straight gatorade and maybe some salt pills to ready the run
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

short Transition area. Had to navigate some walkers...poor run would make this mute
Run
  • 1h 13m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The wheels came off. Out of transition my achilles was tight, this would end up not being a problem. I brought a gatorade bottle. Drank some then discarded it thinking it would be to heavy. I should have drank it all. My cycling jersey was soaked through and blocking cooling. My abd was tight and began to heave on the run, even on slight uphills. I walked a lot and for the first time ever contemplated a DNF. The only run I've ever walked a portion of the run was Firetower Rd on Savageman and then I still managed a minute- better average over twice the distance on a hillier course...I took jersey off on second lap and felt a bit better. I drank 2 cups of water at each of the 6 stops but only 1 Heed total (it would have been smarter to drink Heed but I didn't make the electrolyte connection till after). I poured 1 cup of water over my head at each stop. It may have been wise to get in the lake during the run for a minute or 2.

After finishing I drank 2 16 oz bottles of water with-in 10 minutes of finish. Noticed sweat STARTING after I racked bike on car (20 minutes+ after finish). HR was around 120. HR didn't drop below 90 till 40 minutes into the ride home. It didn't get normal for me till the evening.

Salt pills, All sports drink, wear a Fuel Belt for run, get a proper tri jersey
Post race
Warm down:

fluids, watch team mates grab some podiums!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

overheated

Event comments:

After the race the bike security guy was on his soap box preaching USAT rules for wearing a helmet..hey jerk, I'm slow pedaling out after the race to my car...how about check to see if bike # and armband match to protect racers bikes......otherwise very thankful for the many gracious volunteers...
I would do this race again

Last updated: 2012-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 109/148
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: 2 loops all left hand turns with short beach run in between loops and "jump" off dock
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:21:39 | 23.82 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 51/148
climb right out of transition-HR went to 155 and hovered there for next 2 miles of climbing. Descending 5 miles brought HR into 140's. Return trip all up except for last mile. What were called flats were 14/15 mile ascents. HR stayed in mid 150's-162 the rest of bike
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: out and back with a mini lollipop no huge grades but a 5 mile climb on return and really the whole return was a 10 mile net climb. IMO the course description is mild relative to the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:13:18 | 06.21 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 126/148
Performance: Bad
HR NEVER went below 152 and was mostly at 157. Even walking. Something was wrong.
Course: Described as flat with 150' total elevation gain. IMO the true flat spot was mile 2.5-3.2. The rest was either rising or falling. The 2 climbs are at mile 2 and mile 2.3 as stated but its NOT a flat run. You run through the ruins (dilapidated barracks)of FR. It's fine, something different. Kind of Modern Warfare III like.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-08-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4348880

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: RE: Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course

I don't know which lunatic described that run course as flat. It doesn't climb much but when it does, it's steep! I think the humidity was the other killer - I fell apart on the run too and my dad said afterwards that he was sweating a ton just standing and taking pictures.

I must've been within a mile or two of you the whole race - I started in the next wave back and finished in 3:11. 

Great effort man - it was a long day for all involved!

John

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed