General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic Shin Splints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-06 3:34 PM

New user

In the Middle!
Subject: Chronic Shin Splints

Hello everyone.  I have struggled with chronic shin splints ever since my days of "double timing" in the Military with combat boots on.  I use ice, stretch, rest, Nsaids, you name it... does anyone have any other suggestions to help me deal with this issue? I prevents me from running the distances I would like to.  Even properly warmed up and stretched. I've adjusted how I run, and I get shoes professionally fitted. I don't know what else I can do.

Thank you for your help!

2012-08-07 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4349769

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Chronic Shin Splints
I struggled with shin splint pain for years, and the biggest thing that made a difference for me was focusing on shortening my stride and locking on to a higher cadence.  Until it became second nature, I would try to count 28-30 right foot strikes in 20 seconds.  It's worked for me over the past 2+ years in at least keeping the shin splints away but of course YMMV.  Also make sure that your shoes not only fit but have enough support/stability if you need it.
2012-08-07 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Shin Splints

I have struggled with shin splints and here is what helped me.

1. Get the proper shoe, what is good for 1 person may not be good for another
    depending on your feet.
  2. 180 steps per minute, this is a big one for me and made the most difference.  Shorten your stride, be sure to get the 180 steps per minute in.  Also run on bent knees.  If your knees are locked while running, you will land on your heels. Get someone to video your run and see if you are a heel striker.
  3. Get a foam roller or “the stick” and roll your calves out.  This hurts like all get out but the “hot
    spots” have to be loosened up.
  4. Start over and only increase mileage gradually, start with 2/10’s mile if necessary
    and run that distance for a couple of weeks, then increase to 3/10’s for a
    couple of weeks etc etc. Be patient.
  5. Avoid hills if possible during your recovery and do not do intervals.
  6. Run a little every day, unless you are hurting, if you are hurting take a few weeks
    off.
  7. Stretch your calves before and after running.
  8. I got the little 4 or 6 oz. Dixie paper cups and filled them with water and put in
    the freezer to freeze.  After running take one out of the freezer, and really massage it into the side of your calf next to the shin bone until it has melted, again this hurts a LOT.
  9. Get a deep tissue or sports massage if you can.

I am not a doctor but this is what worked for me.  Good Luck!

2012-08-07 3:03 PM

New user

In the Middle!
Thank y'all for your suggestions! I'm up for trying anything!
2012-08-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4351697

User image

Maryland
Ditto to all the comments thus far. One other activity that has helped me is toe raises as a way to strengthen the muscles in the shin area. Sit in a chair with your quads paralell to the floor and your ankles directly under your knees. Next, raise youur toes has high as you can and lower. You can do this one foot at a time, or do them both together. Sometimes I go as fast as I can, sometimes just a steady speed. You can count off 1-200 or do it for time. It starts super easy, but after a minute, you'll feel the burn begin. You can even multi-task and do it while sitting on the john. I find this to be an easy exercise that can be worked in throughout the day. The trick is the 90 degree bend in you leg. Good luck.
2012-08-07 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
Norman

All great comments. I definitely agree with the drill to strengthen the muscles. 

I also found that slowly incorporating barefoot running helps out. I started with just doing a couple of strides in a field and built up to finishing my easy runs with a mile or two barefoot at the park nearby. Strengthening all the muscles down there will help with pain and injuries.

2012-08-08 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
I had some pretty bad shin splints last year. I could literally only make it a few blocks. Foam rollers, stretching, strengthening, icing etc. all worked to an extent, but I still couldn't run as long as I wanted. Went to a sports orthopedist when all this stopped helping as much and I could literally only make it a couple blocks. The arches of my feet collapse whenever any weight is put on them. My solution was just buying some OTC stiff arch supports (the ones with the rigid plastic arch). I have not have a problem since then. Just the solution that worked for me. 
2012-08-16 6:10 PM

Massachusetts
As crazy as this sounds. I'm in the military and and we have alot of guys that get shin splints when we do our ruck marches (long distance movements with gear). From what I've seen to work is that you need to strengthen that shin muscle by doing standing toe taps. when you're standing around just alternate tapping your toes while heal is on the ground. Start with thirty each side and gradually get higher. It seems to work for most, it's worth a try.
2012-08-16 7:03 PM

New user
Atlanta

86-91 Marines.  Shin splints all the time.  Left with and due to some knee, hip and back injuries that prevented me from running.  Every year or so I got sick of being a couch potato and bought new sneakers and went for a run.  Every time i last a week before knee, or back killed me.   2 years ago (19 after my last long run) I read Born to RUn and decided to give barefoot style a shot.  Vibrams on I focused on 180 bpm cadence and keeping my stride short.  Focused on forefoot/midfoot landing.   Now up to 13 miles and have zero pain or injuries. I wish I made the switch in the early 90s.  Heck, if I made that switch in the 90s I'd be retiring soon with a 2/3 pension.

Slow transition to prevent stress fractures and to let the muscles in your feet develop.  I lost a full size in my shoes and went from flat footed to normal arches in the last 2 years.

2012-10-15 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
I had the same problem while I was in the Marine Corps. I ended up getting a compartment pressure test and they found out I had compartment syndrome in both legs in all 4 compartments. The doc had to go in a release the fascia in my legs.
2012-10-15 4:30 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Shin splints, or shin pain, is a general symptom of a specific problem. Some of the suggestions here may help alleviate this symptom. It's extremely important that you identify the cause.

How many years have you been running on most days? What's your running schedule been (how often, how far/long, whether there's any structure to your runs) for the last year or so?

Do you get shin pain immediately upon running, no matter how slow or short the run is? Or is there a specific time in the run they tend to set in? Do you keep running despite the pain? Does the pain, once it's set in, ever go away during a run? How long after the run does it last? Do you ever get shin pain NOT running?

2012-10-20 1:14 PM

Shin splints may be due to over training, but mostly is due to poor bio-mechanics. I agree with many of the posts here advising shortening stride length and forefoot landing. It is very important that your knees move over your foot as you run. Many runners develop a torsional force as they run which will always make shin splints re occur after a period of rest. Also yes to stretching out the calves and foam roller. But definitely get someone to watch your gait.
2012-10-21 5:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Struggled with this for many years. All advice above looks good - remembering that your individual bio-mechanics are at the core. I found changing shoes to a much more supportive one worked - I had been using very light ones - almost racing flats really which didn't correct for my pronation at all.

Calf flexibility is important as others have said - they are the antagonist muscles that the shin muscles have to fight if they are tight. As much as it will hurt, using "the stick" on the shin muscles (anterior compartment) also works to loosen the fascia.

Icing after every run on the shins is crucial too.

Good luck. Smile

2012-10-29 2:21 PM

New user

My guess would be it is the way you run.  Improve your technique and avoid repetitive use injuries.  The Pose Method will probably help.  It is a running technique that helps avoid repetitive use injuries such as shin splints.  And I never run two days in a row.

-Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic Shin Splints Rss Feed