General Discussion Race Reports! » Matt Mason Memorial “Cowboy UP!” Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Matt Mason Memorial “Cowboy UP!” Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Smithville Lake, Missouri
United States
Matt Mason Memorial “Cowboy UP!” Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 57s
Overall Rank = 26/257
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:30, had some oatmeal, grabbed some coffee and headed out on the hour long drive to the race site. Got there at about 6:00, which allowed for plenty of time to get everything set up.
Event warmup:

No warmup, kinda took my time getting my transition set up and didn't take the bike out on a warm up. I spent most of the time leading up to the event trying to figure out how the swim course worked, and where we would be coming back into transition at. Kinda confusing, but nothing too crazy.
Swim
  • 09m 2s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The time included about a 150y run to transition after exiting the water. Overall, I had a pretty good and smooth swim. I was concerned about drafting with a TT start, so I started at the very front of the 8:00 minute swim group, and felt great. I caught some of the swimmers in the 7:00 swim group. Probably should have ran a bit harder to transition, but I was trying to get HR down.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, my swim has been the one constant this year, and I was pretty happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

This time did not include the run into transition. I struggled with my tri-top for about 15 seconds, but everything else went smoothly. My first purchase for next year will be a one piece suit, or speed suit. I can't struggle with my tri tops anymore...

shirtless? But I'm not in enough shape for that :)
Bike
  • 30m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out easy on the bike until about mile 3, where I picked up the pace. I felt like I controlled my effort well during the beginning of the ride, and was able to make up a good amount of time the second half of the ride, which I knew would be faster. I still have a lot of work to do on the bike, but I was happy with the average. I rode the course last weekend and averaged just under 18, so I was happy with the 19.8 average, but was SO CLOSE TO 20MPH!!!

I definitely coasted back into the park, and got passed by a few people on our way into transition. Maybe not let up so early and keep pushing the pace into transition...
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T2 is pretty solid for me. Don't know how to make this quicker...

Slip feet out on the bike? I'm awaiting some new shoes and pedals this fall/winter and will trial this next year. My SPD clips don't hold onto my shoes very well....
Run
  • 22m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went great, which I can attribute to solid run training and the cooler temps during the morning! Such a relief from the 100 degree training runs! I went out @ a 7:15/mi pace, and descended from there. My goal for the 5k was a 7:10/mi pace, nailed it, and a sprint 5k PR for me!

Nada, I executed exactly what I wanted to do, and I reached a good goal for me! Now time to get faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Haha, nada.... oops...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swimming and biking of late, but I have been bringing the intensity. Despite the decreases in training volume, I am happy with the results from this race, and look forward to my final race of 2012

Event comments:

Great race in memory of Matt Mason, a SEAL who lost his life almost a year before this race. There was a heavy AMERICA theme for the race, and included an American Flag rundown to the finish line, some helicopters, and TONS OF LOCAL INVOLVEMENT, Matt's parents handed out the awards, and I was honored to meet them. Very great race, and I will consider it in the future.

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:02 | 547 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 17/257
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Time Trial start, My first, Triangular course, buoys on the Left, swim started and ended at same beach entryTime
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:18 | 10 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 55/257
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Only one "big climb", with about a quarter mile climb at 6% grade. Everything else was very manageable and fast. Only problem was the roads leading out of the park, it was pretty rough in spots.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:13 | 03.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 20/257
Course: Out and back on trails by the lake. Somewhat shaded...
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Matt Mason Memorial “Cowboy UP!” Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Matt Mason Memorial “Cowboy UP!” Triathlon Rss Feed