Sportspectrum
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 44s
Overall Rank = 235/859
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/65
Pre-race routine:

Left the hotel early and ended up in the line to the park before the gate opened. Lots of pre-race time.
Event warmup:

Did a little swimming during the wait for the start. This is such a great venue for a race, there's plenty of space for warm-up swims, even after the initial waves have started.
Swim
  • 21m 1s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the smallest amount of contact I think I've ever had in an OWS. For a poor swimmer like me, I actually felt this was a good swim. My swim was fairly straight, and felt like I maintained a steady medium-level effort the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

My swim stroke is a lot better, but lack of pool visits means that I don't have the swim fitness to really push it. With some dedicated training, I should easily be able to pick up quite a bit of time here.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Bike
  • 47m 37s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 22.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Great sprint course. Enough small rollers to break things up, but not enough to cause concerns. Overall, this ride was close to my threshold for a sprint....might have been able to push a few sections a little more, but not much. Overall, a good ride for me.

I've been logging a lot of miles, but not doing any speed work. With the right training mix, I should be able to crank out another 1 or 2 mph. Still, this was a break-through year for me and my time was several minutes under the bike in previous years.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

This seemed like an easier run than in years past because of the cloud cover. Still, I pushed fairly hard, but had more in the tank at the finish. I should have been able to go under 8-min miles without too much effort. I'd grade this an average run!

Settle in the first 1/2-mile, then PUSH. I should be able to take at least a minute, maybe two, off my run time.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a big improvement for me over the last three years. I dropped my time by almost 7-minutes over my previous best, and moved up in the standings over 100 places from past years. I'm very pleased with the results, but think I could take another 4 to 6 minutes off this time next year with a little focus and work. Next years goal time: 1:33

Event comments:

This is, year after year, the best sprint race I've done. The venue is excellent, the race is well organized, and the SWAG is great! This was year four in a row for me, and I can't wait til next year!

Last updated: 2012-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:01 | 880 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/65
Overall: 578/859
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle course, with buoys on the right.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:37 | 18.2 miles | 22.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/65
Overall: 86/859
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop around the lake on open roads with VERY light traffic. Course does have a number of 90-degree turns and some small rollers. Overall, the roads are in good shape and all the turns are well marked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:02 | 03.11 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/65
Overall: 262/859
Performance: Average
Course: Course changed from previous years.....more parking lot loops and the short trail section has been eliminated. Personally, I liked the trail section better. The course has small elevation changes, but nothing steep and it has lots of shade!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes