United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 1.5hrs late. Stared at the ceiling for a little while, then got out of bed, put stuff in car, drove there. Had some coffee and water on the drive (~1hf)
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 5h 37m 39s
  • 80 miles
  • 14.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I've never ridden that many hills as far as I can remember. This was close if not more difficult than the century last August in the stifling heat of NC. But it was hillier, and windier.
And, the road conditions sucked. There were so many stretches of rough road, potholes, patched pavement, that pavement that's "smooth" but is paved with teeny rocks so it's bumpy. And plus, a lot of the roads were on narrow roads with small shoulders.
My cadence got down to THIRTY on the hills!! THIRTY!! Speed was often 4-7mph on the hills.
What would you do differently?:

Ride a course with fewer goddamned hills, and smoother damned roads.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped biking. Thanked the heavens I was done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biking fitness, and strength. Also, my hilly bike and lifting weights on Friday and 12mile run yesterday sure didn't help.

Event comments:

Wouldn't do this ride again. First of all, those hills were too much for me. I emailed them and they said it was "rolling terrain". Rolling my ass!! Those were some big endless rolls!! Second, when I pay to do a bike ride, I expect it to be on quality roads, and these roads SUCKED ASS, BIG TIME. Third, aid stations could have been better stocked, although it wasn't terrible.

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Biking
05:37:39 | 80 miles | 14.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Total time (stops included): 6h9m26s, which gives an overall PALTRY 13.0mph. OMG, I am so slow. Avg HR 133 (includes stops) Max HR 172
Wind: Strong
Course: Hills, hills and more bloody f*ing hills. Holy crap, I thought that was brutal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: Hat City Century Ride

2006-06-12 7:31 AM
in reply to: #450584

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Hat City Century Ride
LOL! Sounds like a great time... Let's get a BT Group ride out on that course.

I really wish some of the people who organize events like this would actually go out and do them themselves. Redo the route if the roads suck that bad. Geez!

In any event, nice job stickin' to it and gettin' it done. Next ride should be easier.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hat City Century Ride Rss Feed