Mattoon Beach Multisport
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 26s
Overall Rank = 71/80
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Ate my morning peanut butter sandwich and drove the hour and a half drive to the race site. Arrived about an hour before race start, set up my transition, checked the pressure on my tires then mingled around and chatted with family. I did shoot a gel about 15 minutes prior to lining up at the beach.
Event warmup:

I'm not much for warmups, my longest workouts are not quite as long as the race so I don't feel like I have any energy to blow on the warm up. I did get in the water and swam maybe 20 yards just to get a feel for sighting in open water which I had never tried before .... I know, I know - I should have practiced in open water prior to race day.
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was pretty nippy outside so I thought the water would be freezing! It actually turned out to be really nice - felt like getting in the pool at the rec. I'm sure my times are unimpressive, but I think I did a great job for my first open water swim. It was a one wave start so I hung out near the back to avoid the big crowd. I was able to pass quite a few people which was shocking to me! My only criticism is that I had to switch to breaststroke frequently because I kept getting water in my mouth from the waves, I drank a lot of that tasty green Lake Shelbyville water :) I think the good thing for me is that I grew up swimming in lakes and ponds so the nasty, skanky water really doesn't freak me out and I never for a moment thought I would drown, I just didn't want to be last!
What would you do differently?:

This was my first OWS so I was really pleased! I'm sure I'll get better with practice but this is all I could have asked for. It would be nice to be able to breath bilaterally because I kept getting waves in my face breathing to the right .... of course the same might have happened going left.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I was pleased with my T1 time, but it was a small race which made it simple to find my spot and to get out. I had a water bottle to hose the sand off my feet and since I bike in my running shoes and wear socks (have tried training without them to no avail) this is my longest transition. I put Gold Bond powder in my socks and rolled them down prior to the race and it worked great, they slipped on like a dream!

Nothing - but next race I plan on having cycling shoes so I'll have to rethink my whole plan.
Bike
  • 35m 29s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little nervous about racing on my road bike because I've avoided it like the plague and I'm not very practiced on it. This was a perfect course for a bike novice - no big turns, flat, and free of road hazards. I felt like I shifted pretty well (NOW, I understand what that front derailleur does!) and I was able to drink and shoot my gel without weaving like a drunken idiot which is a vast improvement over two weeks ago. I probably could have pushed it a bit harder but I was afraid I wouldn't have enough left over for the run so I tried to keep my HR in the high 160s.

It'd be nice to have a fancy, schmancy bike computer so I knew my cadence and speed. I probably could have pushed a little harder, but I'm sure I'll learn my pace better as I train and practice.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

time for T2 is rolled into bike, but I was like Superman quick since I already had my running shoes on. Just racked my bike and grabbed my visor and race belt. I am still a complete klutz at getting off the bike and I'm just thankful I didn't wipe out at the dismount area.
Run
  • 29m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I ROCKED the run!! These are the fastest miles I've ever done, even in training runs of shorter distance I've never done better than 10:30 miles. Not only was I fast (for me) but I felt pretty good. It took a mile for my legs to feel "normal" but then I just sped up and held that pace. Right after the 2 mile mark I felt the beginnings of a stitch but it never came on. I was able to sprint the finish and I just felt awesome!! There were also a lot of friendly faces on the run since it was an out and back I got to see the fast people heading for the finish like my cousin tliles (6:46 miles are FAST!), a runner in a BT jersey that I cheered for (who I later learned was Writebrained), and a lot of good humored people yelling enoucragement or challenging me to catch them. Just a great run and a fabulous experience!

In retrospect, I definitely had more in me for that run but I was so afraid that if I went harder I would blow up like I did at my last race. Of course I've heard the phrase, "it's supposed to hurt" so next time, I'll put the hammer down, especially for the last mile
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the refreshments to grab some water. I didn't stretch or anything because I got too caught up in chatting. My sore legs reminded me the next day that it's important to STRETCH!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my lack of experience and knowing how much gas I have in the engine and how hard I can push it.

Event comments:

For me, this was just a fun and amazing experience! I swear that I had a smile on my face the whole time and in my wildest dreams I would never have thought that I was capable of doing a triathlon. This was a really good first sprint distance because it was relatively small therefore not so intimidating and the course was very beginner friendly.

One of the best parts was having the chance to meet up with fellow BT'ers oneslowdoc, writebrained and tliles after the race. Even though they were done far before me, they were all so encouraging and excited about my accomplishments. I learned a lot by talking with them and the best part is that all of us ended up with trophies!! Go Team BT!!!

so today I'm thinking, When's the next race??

Last updated: 2006-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 400 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 2/80
Performance: Average
Swim time includes relatively long jog up the beach to the transition area.
Suit: No wet suit for me!!
Course: Beach start and a triangle shaped course with four buoys
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:29 | 10 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Performance:
Bike time includes T2
Wind: Little
Course: Simple out and back course on a state park road with a few little "hills" (hills by Illinois standards but not by Missouri standards!) and a couple of gentle turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:28.8 | 03 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Performance: Good
Course: an out and back of sorts that was flat and on the road. There were two water stations around miles 1 and 2
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Wolf Creek Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-12 9:59 AM
in reply to: #451015

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Wolf Creek Sprint Triathlon

GENNX - you rock!

Awesome race and awesome attitude.  You are what BT is all about.  Nice effort on Saturday.  Keep tri-n! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wolf Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed