General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Gator Olympic DU1- Swim/Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greater Gator Olympic DU1- Swim/Bike - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boerne, Texas
United States
Redemption Race Productions
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 36s
Overall Rank = 5/12
Age Group = Swim/Bike
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0450 and got ready; left the house by 0515. Ate a Luna bar and banana and drank coffee on the way. Got to the race site around 0600 and was bodymarked and had everything set up in transition by 0615. Did the usual portapotty routine and ate half a pack of Gu Chomps at 0645.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 28m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid! Got off to a strong start and didn't let up much the rest of the way. Wanted to push as hard as I could to see how well I could do without worry of gassing out on the run. Not sure what the water temperature was but it was practically HOT - not refreshing at all. Goggles even fogged up a little after the first 500M, which made sighting the buoys (despite them being neon yellow) quite tough thereafter. As usual, spent most of the swim by myself, with no one around worth even trying to draft. Oh well. Definitely my fastest 1500M OWS ever, and quite impressive given that this was my first without a wetsuit! Knee didn't bother me at all - very happy about that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Didn't run quite as hard from the water to transition as I normally do, and then took a little extra time to dry off my feet before putting on my socks. Wouldn't do that in a tri, but since I had no idea whether I could contend for a medal in the aquabike, I decided to make T1 a little more leisurely.

Since the 2nd place female in the aquabike finished 7 minutes ahead of me and the 4th place female was 5 minutes behind me, clearly the extra seconds I spent here didn't make a difference.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 5s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, solid! I had a blast working as hard as I could manage, knowing I didn't have to save anything for the run. First 6 miles flew by even though they were mostly a long, gradual uphill; before I knew it, I was at the base of "Heartbreak Hill." As during the Gatorbait Tri in June, I cranked my way up, trying to keep my HR reasonable by managing my breathing. Passed quite a few people walking. Definitely seemed easier the second time, and before I knew it, I was at the top. Spent a little time spinning easy at the top to get my HR back down and drank water, then resumed pushing hard. The next 4 miles passed by quickly and I ate the rest of my Honey Stinger chews at mile 10 (had eaten the first half of the pack about 15 minutes into the ride). The next 2 miles or so til the turnaround felt interminably long for some reason. Hit the turnaround at about 47:30 (which shows you how significantly more uphill the first half was, since I thus covered the second half in under 38 minutes). Decided to go for broke(n) on the way back since it was mostly downhill, and absolutely had a blast bombing my way down the hills (hit 36.5mph down "Heartbreak Hill" - and that was with being conservative and braking a little near the top). Was only passed by a few women the whole ride, and passed quite a few more (and even passed some men). Knee bothered me a little about halfway into the ride but not for long.

Nothing. Quite pleased with this, given my lack of hill training and, well, bike training in general.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around quite a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't been able to train as much or as hard as I'd like, given the knee issue. Heat and hills also played a role, but all considered, I'm very pleased with my performance.

Event comments:

Great race! This organization always puts on unique and well-organized events. Particularly appreciated the volunteers who stopped us as we were about to pull out of the parking lot, to tell us we had a flat rear tire on our car. Only complaint is the LONG wait for the awards ceremony that seems to be common at all their events. I appreciate that they like to wait til most of the athletes are finished, but I'd rather not have to hang around out in the heat for 2 hours after finishing a race!

Last updated: 2012-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 8/12
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri top & tri shorts
Course: Large triangle in Boerne City Lake
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:05 | 24.8 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 5/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back; down the I-10 access road and up Ranger Creek Rd. Rather hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-11 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Greater Gator Olympic DU1- Swim/Bike

2012-08-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4358848

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Greater Gator Olympic DU1- Swim/Bike
Congrats again! You really hit it hard. Great swim and bike. Way to turn something really annoying (the knee issue) into a great performance at the aqua bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Gator Olympic DU1- Swim/Bike Rss Feed