Tri4Life Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 38s
Overall Rank = 62/168
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Up early, walked KC, had some coffee, skipped breakfast. I packed up the night before, so just needed to grab bag and water bottle and head out.
Event warmup:

I am so bad at these local races. Too much socializing. I did manage a short run. I should have also had a short swim. Next time.
Swim
  • 14m 46s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I swam this well, with good sighting...even into the sun. Altho, I did have to do a few breast strokes to establish where I was going a couple of times. This is a beginner friendly race, and the water is shallow, so the end was frustrating as a lot of folks were just walking the last few yards, which really slowed me up trying to get to the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up first so I can have a smoother, more comfortable start. Just keep swimming straight into the darn sun.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Seems slow for such a small transition. In line with all but the fastest folks, though, and faster than the lady who was first in my AG.

Just go faster.
Bike
  • 49m 38s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Someday I will be faster on the bike? Really...20 mph isn't even going to put me "up there," but it would be nice to see more consistently. Again, feedback in terms of the HR monitor or bike computer (mine has never worked...fixing that before the next race) might have helped me push a little harder in places. The headwind coming across the bridge and before turning for home was pretty stiff and certainly slowed me down.

Use feedback to race a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I still feel as if this is slow for such a small transition, but still consistent with the group.

Faster of course. I think it's really time to get shoes off on the bike.
Run
  • 25m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay. Lesson learned. Start the watch. Had I known I was so close to breaking 25 minutes, I might have pushed the end a bit harder. I huffed and puffed the first mile of the run, but really started to feel strong by the turnaround. However, good thing it wasn't a longer run. Cumulative fatigue from previous week's training started to show, I think.

Use my watch.
Post race
Warm down:

Too much socializing again. I really should have run some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think not having feedback limited my ability to push a bit harder and perhaps grab the top spot...or at least be closer to the 1:30 I wanted. Going by feel is fine, but a little more info might have made the difference.

Last updated: 2012-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:46 | 587 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 51/168
Performance: Good
Well, I hope the course was slightly long, like some folks are saying. Not that I care, but it would be nice to swim a course that is the correct distance so I know what I am swimming in open water. Also, had I done that swim warmup, I might have avoided that "my arms are heavy" feeling in the first half.
Suit: One-piece tri suit
Course: Kind of a rectangle...I think. Counter clockwise (yay...I breathe left mostly), with a slight right at the start, then straight out the rez, turn and head back...right into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:38 | 16 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 80/168
Performance: Average
I am understanding more and more the value of the HR monitor. I might have ridden this differently with that kind of feedback.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat and fast. Out Fannin Landing and then looped back around to Northshore.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:08 | 03.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 53/168
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the path next to the reservoir.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?