General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help please - vey slow / dehydration / advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-13 8:22 PM

Subject: Help please - vey slow / dehydration / advice
1st time IM (Wisconsin) coming up. Have done a few HIM (6:08 in Eagleman this year, good for me given heat), three 24 hour MTB Solo's past few years. 53 years old, 170 lbs.
Did 112 mile bike, 13 mile run yesterday. Longer than schedule called for, but wanted to do it with decent run as heat (Philadelphia) has limited decent runs for me after long bikes over the past month. Disappointed with pace. 7:45 to
do the bike (under 15 MPH, fairly hilly), about 11 minutes per mile on the run. Cooked after.
Have consistently been losing 5 - 7 lbs on long workouts as having trouble drinking and also taking on nutrition when it is
real hot. 4% of body weight loss is not good I realize, but stomach just not cooperating. Still trying to tweak nutrition, supplementing Infinit and Gu with other things and electrloyte pills. Here's the odd thing - I am not sore at all
today.
Given that I am not sore, can I optimistically think in terms of my body producing a lot more (faster) if I get the hydration and nutrition down? My IM Moo goal is 13 - 14 hours, so nothing heroic, but at current pace may not
make it. Or with 4 weeks left, this is what I will generate?
Related question - 2 long weekends left - do I do another 112/13, or follow my schedule (Fink competitive (ha!)), and do long bike, 1 hour run on Sat., 1 hour bike, 3 hour run Sun.? thanks if advance for your help.

2012-08-13 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4361719

Indiana
Subject: RE: Help please - vey slow / dehydration / advice
I have a very high sweat rate and always struggle with hydration and calories on long rides.  Sweet higher calorie drinks always start to cause me problems as the ride progresses.  i never can get enough electrolytes from drink and food and always have to result to using electrolyte tablets with some success but i still struggle to get the calories in.  I started reading about Skratch Labs and its founder's philosophy and experimentation on hydration and electrolytes and calories with pro cyclist.  I thought what the heck I will give it a try.  I have been thoroughly impressed with the less calories in the liquid and the added electrolytes and then eating more "solid" foods.  At the lower heart rate riding I have really had some success in eating items like Bonk Breaker bars (which have fat, carbs and protein) and honey stinger waffles with the Skratch Labs drinks.  Skratch labs offers a lower calorie "everyday" drink for preloading your body with sodium before big events.  Maybe its my mind but my system has responded well to the drinks and changing what I eat on the bike (no longer relying on all gu's and semi solid blocks, and tablets).   just an idea...Your mileage my vary. 
2012-08-14 3:03 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA

Put ice down your shirt especially during the run. Will help to keep your core temp down and your heart rate down. Or ice water over the head to keep you as cool as possible.

2012-08-16 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI

spudbiker - 2012-08-13 8:22 PM 1st time IM (Wisconsin) coming up. Have done a few HIM (6:08 in Eagleman this year, good for me given heat), three 24 hour MTB Solo's past few years. 53 years old, 170 lbs.
Did 112 mile bike, 13 mile run yesterday. Longer than schedule called for, but wanted to do it with decent run as heat (Philadelphia) has limited decent runs for me after long bikes over the past month. Disappointed with pace. 7:45 to
do the bike (under 15 MPH, fairly hilly), about 11 minutes per mile on the run. Cooked after.
Have consistently been losing 5 - 7 lbs on long workouts as having trouble drinking and also taking on nutrition when it is
real hot. 4% of body weight loss is not good I realize, but stomach just not cooperating. Still trying to tweak nutrition, supplementing Infinit and Gu with other things and electrloyte pills. Here's the odd thing - I am not sore at all
today.
Given that I am not sore, can I optimistically think in terms of my body producing a lot more (faster) if I get the hydration and nutrition down? My IM Moo goal is 13 - 14 hours, so nothing heroic, but at current pace may not
make it. Or with 4 weeks left, this is what I will generate?
Related question - 2 long weekends left - do I do another 112/13, or follow my schedule (Fink competitive (ha!)), and do long bike, 1 hour run on Sat., 1 hour bike, 3 hour run Sun.? thanks if advance for your help.

Same story for me, except I can't seem to break 80 miles this year (even the same race).  The only difference is that I have done this race before (2010), and found that my nutrition plan sucked!  (planned to stick with solid foods)

I plan to use infinit this year and try to supplement with some solids.  My training partners all had luck in 2010 with PB&J sandwiches, so I'm going to try that this year.

I plan a 90 mile bike ride this weekend and then a 112 mile course ride next week before starting my taper.  There really isn't time to make any significant changes at this point.  The only advice I can give you is to get your nutrition squared away NOW!

Good luck, see you in a couple weeks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help please - vey slow / dehydration / advice Rss Feed