General Discussion Triathlon Talk » on your right? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-16 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: on your right?

while passing another rider on the bike, when is it appropriate to say "on your left"?  always?  sometimes?  never?  

2012-08-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4366002

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: on your right?
Always.
2012-08-16 3:15 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
And you should say "on your RIGHT" because passing should be towards the right side.

I do this even in races as well as commuting.
2012-08-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4366821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

xrodolfox - 2012-08-16 4:15 PM And you should say "on your RIGHT" because passing should be towards the right side.

I do this even in races as well as commuting.

Passing is done on the right?  Unless I'm mistaken, when you pass someone it should be on their left.  Once you pass someone then you're supposed to immediately move to the right (at least in a race that is).

Edited by ericcooper 2012-08-16 3:25 PM
2012-08-16 5:08 PM

User image

Brighton

I try to always say it, especially if the other person is also going to be passing someone soon.

I actually had a case of passing someone on the right last night, making the first turn by the booths at Island Lake, had a guy going way slow and hugging the left and middle through the turn. I came up faster  on him then I thought I had the left arm still on the aero bars and right hand was on the horns/brake. Just couldn't get slowed up enough to cross back over him. I definitely made sure that I called out "on the right" loud enough that he heard me. Wasn't how I wanted to pass but it was that or make some crazy maneuvers that was gonna put myself or both of us in bad situtation.

2012-08-16 5:13 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
OOOPS!

I had just got done circle swimming, on the right side.

Of course. You only pass on the left. It should always be ON YOUR LEFT.

2012-08-17 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
just curious what you thought.  in a race the majority don't. 
2012-08-17 9:30 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I do in races. I don't want to be hurt or hurt simeone else racing or during training.

I don't get why people DON'T do it. It is easy. It is polite. It helps others and yourself.

Few things startle me cycling than being surprised that all of a sudden there's someone next to me. I've almost crashed due to that. Rude.
2012-08-17 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I have heard people say "on your right" during the bike, but only to people they think will look where you say.  I figure they developed this from saying "on your left" only to have the person being passed look left, veer left, and crash into them.  Now they say "on you right" and pass on the left. 

I try to always say "on your left" even when running not just when biking.  During runs I've also said "hold your line I'm going to pass you", but that is usually on the trail where they just need to stay straight and I'll deal with the pass.  Just my 2 cents. 

2012-08-17 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

It seems like most people only say it when the person they're passing is either not flush to the right, weaving, or seems oblivious.  Kind of as a safety thing if you think there could be an issue trying to pass. 

I admit that when I feel like I can pass without issue as the other person is going slow, or just giving me plenty of room I may not call out, though really it should just be a standard for everyone's safety just in case.

2012-08-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4367962

User image

Extreme Veteran
maverickbassets - 2012-08-17 11:43 AM

I have heard people say "on your right" during the bike, but only to people they think will look where you say.  I figure they developed this from saying "on your left" only to have the person being passed look left, veer left, and crash into them.  Now they say "on you right" and pass on the left. 

I try to always say "on your left" even when running not just when biking.  During runs I've also said "hold your line I'm going to pass you", but that is usually on the trail where they just need to stay straight and I'll deal with the pass.  Just my 2 cents. 

i've started saying on your right to bikers passing on MY left to make a point.

even if you think you're clear to pass, you don't know if the biker will start trying to get a drink, get something out of their bento, etc. and swerve a bit to your direction.  that could be messy.

2012-08-17 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4367020

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I was riding Island Lake last night too.  Had a couple of guys hitch on behind me for the second half of my ride.  I don't mind, but it aggravated me a little bit that the guy who was right behind me was on a tri bike.  Thankfully we had a good smooth ride back until I veered off back in to the Kent Lake parking lot.

I have to admit that a lot of the time at Island Lake I will make the pass without saying anything.  I always give a look back behind me before I move out for a pass, and I probably feel *too* comfortable riding Island lake, so I find myself floating out to the middle of my lane or farther on occasion.

I should probably get back in the habit of saying it on every pass.  I always do if I am passing a group that is two wide or groups with more than 2 riders, since they could move out at any time to switch leaders.

2012-08-17 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4368338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
leedyb - 2012-08-17 3:08 PM

I was riding Island Lake last night too.  Had a couple of guys hitch on behind me for the second half of my ride.  I don't mind, but it aggravated me a little bit that the guy who was right behind me was on a tri bike.  Thankfully we had a good smooth ride back until I veered off back in to the Kent Lake parking lot.

I have to admit that a lot of the time at Island Lake I will make the pass without saying anything.  I always give a look back behind me before I move out for a pass, and I probably feel *too* comfortable riding Island lake, so I find myself floating out to the middle of my lane or farther on occasion.

I should probably get back in the habit of saying it on every pass.  I always do if I am passing a group that is two wide or groups with more than 2 riders, since they could move out at any time to switch leaders.

Gotta say that's a little rude - I'd never think of drafting someone I don't know.  

As for Island Lake, I do the same thing - don't always call out if its just one rider because there's so much room - I'll make sure to swing wide left and give a friendly hello as I pass.  During races, though, or times like you've mentioned where several riders are side by side, or if there's just not much room, I always call out just for my own safety.  I've seen it happen plenty of times where someone doesn't call out then a rider in front of me will swing out to do their own pass without checking their six first.

2012-08-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4368378

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

I guess it is a little flattering if someone wants to draft off of me.    However, I pushed pretty hard for a short time, so then I backed off and let the two guys pass me.  I dropped back far enough where I wasn't drafting off of them and then played a game with myself, promising that I had to catch them by a certain point.  I got them on the top of that quick steep incline by the little lake where lots of people swim (don't know the name of that one).  Then it was hammer time all the way home.  Oooops, I was supposed to be tapering for Ludington this weekend, but I found myself too into the speed on the way back! 

ericcooper - 2012-08-17 3:27 PM
leedyb - 2012-08-17 3:08 PM

Gotta say that's a little rude - I'd never think of drafting someone I don't know.  

As for Island Lake, I do the same thing - don't always call out if its just one rider because there's so much room - I'll make sure to swing wide left and give a friendly hello as I pass.  During races, though, or times like you've mentioned where several riders are side by side, or if there's just not much room, I always call out just for my own safety.  I've seen it happen plenty of times where someone doesn't call out then a rider in front of me will swing out to do their own pass without checking their six first.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » on your right? Rss Feed