General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ludington, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 51s
Overall Rank = 25/232
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 for the drive from my boat in Spring Lake to the venue in Ludington. Pretty tired, but I at least had a good night's sleep on Friday night.
Event warmup:

Only took a short ride on the bike, didn't really warm up in the water due to the temps. The water wasn't too cold to be in, but the air was just chilly enough where I didn't want to get wet and then stand around waiting for the start. Transition closed at 7:30AM and my race didn't start until 8:40 which made for a *long* wait.
Swim
  • 07m 51s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started right next to my friend who had the fastest swim time of the day and tried to draft off of him, but lost him about 150m in. Didn't feel bad, but pretty sure it wasn't my best swim of the year. Wasn't wiped out from it, but just felt inefficient.
What would you do differently?:

Since I do pretty well in the swim without a lot of work, I don't focus on it. For next season, I would like to prioritize swimming a bit more. It may not gain me *that* much, but in a race like this, every second counted.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Messed up with my watch coming out of T1, which caused me to look down at it. I swerved into oncoming traffic and nearly caused an accident which was 100% my fault. Felt horrible about this. Also pulled my right shoe out of the speedplay pedal, and was lucky not to totally drop it.

T1 was great (fastest in my AG) right until I got on to the bike. That's when it fell apart.

Practice transitions again. Not worry about watch if I screw something up.
Bike
  • 37m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

My watch was in T2 mode for nearly the entire group because of my screwup. I didn't want to mess with my cyclocomputer, so I only knew my overall average. I was completely out of sync for the first 5 miles based on my near accident, and couldn't mentally get over it. I finally started pushing it out and feeling good, but somehow right after the turnaround, my legs just vanished on me which was incredibly frustrating. I felt like everything was uphill the entire way back, and ended up a lot slower than I should have been. Very disappointing to not be approaching 21mph on this course, let alone to be under 20mph.

Not screw up getting on the bike. Also, I have biked less in the past few weeks than I was before and it definitely seemed to affect me. Despite having been pretty good on the bike in my last few training sessions, I felt pretty weak here.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

One of the best T2s of the entire race. No complaints. I seem to do this very well.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Easily my best triathlon run ever. This run would've helped me on to a podium if I had done it in other events. Went out at 8:30, 8:13, and then 7:35 and was moving for the last .1 miles. Tried to hold of my friend and age group rival who is a better runner, but he pulled up to me right before the finish chute and he had a better kick than I did. Gave this run everything I had, pretty happy about it. Actually, as sad as it is to say, I had never broken 25:00 in a standalone 5K, so it is a shock to do it in a triathlon.

If I would have known my competitor had enough in him to catch me, I would have picked up my pace 1/4 or 1/2 mile earlier. However, I am not sure I had that in me. I gave it what I had and am not upset with myself for him pulling it out in the end of the run. Had I had a better bike, this may have been a moot point...even a better swim would have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched lightly, ate some of the post race stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad focus on the bike, plus I felt weak there. Need to get back to training better on the bike.

Event comments:

Nothing bad to say about this race, as it is my favorite every year. We got lucky with the weather, as the day turned out nicer than I expected it to be. Next year I'll be in the 40-45 AG, so it will be a different adventure for me. Already looking forward to it.

Last updated: 2012-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:51 | 500 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 9/232
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Didn't have a beach start. They wanted everyone in the water for a few minutes before the start to get acclimated.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:55 | 12.43 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 38/232
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back...
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:56 | 03.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 71/232
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back...slight downhill into the turnaround and of course a slight uphill coming out of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-09-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4371383

New user

Coldwater, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course
Well done, I learned so much this race, can't wait till next year to see if the lessons stuck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed