JMS Racing Services
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 37s
Overall Rank = 135/341
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/55
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off around 4:00 AM. Got up, stretched some, ate a Cliff Bar, Greek Yogurt, and a peanut butter sandwhich. Also drank a full bottle of Powerade. I love the taste of that stuff. Randy showed up around 5:00 AM. We chatted a bit and took off for Palo. Got there about 5:50. Long line for transition entrance. Will remember that for next time. Got a decent spot in my age group on the racks. Second from the end. Set up transition. Parked my car really close to our transition spot which made it easy to go back and forth. Laid out all the gear, checked tires, made sure water and nutrition were ready to go. Had 6 Gu packs taped and my Bento Box had a Cliff Bar, Cheese and PB crakers,and a Stinger Waffel. Way to much, but better to be safe then sorry.
Event warmup:

Stretched for a while. Pre race meeting was at 7:15. Stacey and Mike E found us for some group pictures with the girls. I went out into the water for a hundred or so yard warm up. Get the goggles ready to go and did some extra stretching. Our swim wave was 8 out of 9 to go out but it went pretty fast.
Swim
  • 32m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt great. They did a time trial start with swimmers going into the water after crossing a timing mat, every 3 seconds. Went really fast and with that type of start, not too much bumping. I started sighting a boat, not realizing I was going slightly off course. Was only breathing to the right side and when I started bi-lateral breathing, I noticed the field was about 20 yards away from me. Swim felt great. Stroke Stroke Breath. Stroke Stroke Breath. I was in the zone. Smooth long strokes and flying by people. Passing teams, and some of the first (non-elite) swim caps. That felt good. Right out of water looked at my Garmin.... 32 minutes! PR for me on the swim. First time I did this in competition but I have done it numerous times in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting. Otherwise, good swim. Maybe wear darker goggles for swim when heading into the sunrise.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Heel got stuck on timing chip. That thing was huge! Overall, good. Long run up the hill from the water to my bike though. Pulled the goggles and swim cap off and left them in my sleeve as I pulled my arm out. That worked pretty good. At least my transition spot was close to bike out. Gonna be a long run from bike in though. Feet slipped into shoes nicely. rubber bands broke fine (good ol cheapies from Wal Mart) and started off on the bike nicely.

Practice removing suit a few more times before next triathlon.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was fun. My goal was to keep an 18-19 mph average but I found that almost too slow. Good hills to roll down and I was doing my share of passing a ton of people. Not aggressive though. Tri bikes passing me. At least I can hear them coming with their roar. I gotta get me one of those. Love my steel framed roadie though. Gu pack every 10 miles. Had 60 oz of fluid on the bike to start. Tried the Heed. Didn't really like it. Stuck to water and my Elixer. Hills going out to the turnaround did not seem so bad going up. Fun coming down. Couple of times got close to drafting violations. due to improper passing by others and my inability to want to slow down once overtaken to give the 20 feet separation. Loved the bike. Felt really good till about 50 miles. Last 6 were tough climing back into the Palo park and then the tight corners in the park. Saw Stacey and the Boys and Englebrecht's at the end of my bike. That was awesome. Finished at 20.5 mph for an average. Not to bad for a road biker taking it easy if you ask me.

Bottle exchange was easy. 6 or so volunteers handing out water and Heed. they did a good job of handing the bottles off. Not too many dropped on the road.

I think consume more fluids.... See below for more details.
Also, not sure if I ate the right things. Cheddar crackers with PB on the bike is what I like to bring with me on long rides but in competition, it really made my mouth dry. I liked the additon of the Bento Box. Easy place to get at food and not a bad place to store garbage until the bottle exchange zone.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Smooth transition. I like to run with socks so that always takes me longer to get out of T2. Bike racked easily too. Changed my mind on the bike and decided not to bring my nutrition belt, with water bottles on it, out on the run. Instead, took the three Gu packs and put them in my shorts for the run.

Have a better plan about the nutrtition belt. Decide what I want to do before the race and stick to the plan.
Run
  • 2h 20m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was where my strong Swim - T1 - Bike - T2 decided to change. Right quad cramped up before mile #1. Left quad cramped before mile # 2. Oh shit, this is gonna be a long 13.1 miles. Everything felt good. HR was under control. Breathing was good. No foot or hip or calf pain. Why this cramping???? Cardio is strong. First mile was 7:30 (too fast) then the cramps. UHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Decided to take it easy and drink lots of fluids at each station. Two glasses of water would get me to each water station just fine. I asked a volunteer, where's the turnaround, "about a mile up that hill" no biggie. Woah, now my right hammy is cramping with my right and left quads. No way to stretch. Stopped running. Can't walk either. Hammy loosens up finally. Can walk / jog. Made it to the turn around. Whew. 1/2 way done. Down hill to next water station. Loaded up on water and bananas. HR and lungs feel good. quads not so much. The next 6 miles was a combination of walking and jogging, loading up on fluids and bananas at each station and more or less just relaxing with the goal of finishing as a top priority. Jogged up most of the big hill into the park. Originally planned on walking it but felt okay. Actually passed some people on the run. Of course they passed me before the finish. Cramps hit me pretty hard at the last water station. At least I could load up. Took my time for the last mile so that I could finish the run by running. Stacey and the cheering section were waiting. Crossed and felt great. Quads wanted to die. Loaded up on fluid and proceeded to have a good day.

I guess be better hydrated off the bike. Don't out perform my training level. Not sure how to moderate that but I guess go slower next time. I felt great coming off the bike so I'm not sure what the story was. Maybe bring my nutrition belt and make sure I have extra fluids with me even between water stations. I need help here!
Post race
Warm down:

Relaxed. Ate some of the bananas, water melon, garlic bread and drank tons of water. When I finally felt like sitting down, grabbed some pizza for me and the family and sat in the shade. Stood under the portable shower (great idea by the way) waited for awards then took off. Very happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps on the run. Other than that, I was happy.

Event comments:

I will consider Pigman again. I really enjoyed the race. The venue was tricky for parking, especially with the family showing up later. Well organized and very well supported.

The weather couldn't have been better. Morning temps in the upper 50s, race temp in the 70s with some wind. The best weather that I could have asked for. If temps would have been in the upper 90s, could have been really bad.

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/55
Overall: 25/341
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Fairly easy course. Straight out at an angle off the beach. Right turn, then another right turn and to the beach. Some got off course due to sun rise making it hard to site the first bouey.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:57 | 56 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/55
Overall: 88/341
HR was well under control. Low 150s, and breathing normally.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Typical Iowa blacktop. Bumpy at times. Rolling hills. Decent turns. I took my time cornering. Saw some shiny gravel sand looking stuff and did not want to lay my bike down. Wind was in our faces sometimes and in our backs other times. Course got to experience all kinds of wind from all directions.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:20:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/55
Overall: 222/341
Performance: Below average
HR was great. Less than 150 for the entire run
Course: Couple of hills out of the park. Left turn. Long down hill road. Mostly flat until about last 1.5 miles until turn around. Long hill up to turn around, then down hill. Long hill before turning back into the park and a few more smaller up and down hills until a down hill end to the finish. Course was open to traffic and there was moderate vehicles on the road. Black top and concrete most of the way. Gravel shoulders that felt pretty good to run on and give the feet a little break from pounding.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes