General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group Sprint National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group Sprint National Championship - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burlington, Vermont
United States
USA Triathlon
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 52s
Overall Rank = 795/1025
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 25/32
Pre-race routine:

I slept 4-6 hours each of the 3 nights leading up to the race, which is very little for me so that wasn't really ideal. But, I woke up race morning feeling refreshed (and without the alarm clock), so that made me feel good!
Drank 16 oz green tea and a thing (6 "bloks") of clif shot bloks about 2.5-3 hours prior.
Transition area closed at 7:30, my wave was off at 8:12.
Event warmup:

Walked/jogged the 2.5 miles from where I was staying at a friend's place to transition area. Also did active stretching along the way. Once again, I was extremely nervous about the hip issue flaring up, so I tried to stay active up until race time. Jogged around, walked around, did active stretching.
They let us get in the water 8 minutes before our wave start, and I was so glad for this. When I first got in the water, I didn't think it was that cold, but when I started swimming, I was taking in so much air with every breath. Swam for about 5 minutes which got rid of that feeling!
Swim
  • 15m 48s
  • 825 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Start was not good. Got stuck behind a couple of people, wasn't sure what to do. Then shortly thereafter I started choking on the water and came to a slow/stop. Finally after that I started getting into a rhythm. I had to remind myself to PULL. Then I found myself swimming alongside someone with not too much left to go, and I wish I would have stayed with her! Towards the end of the swim, I felt like I was swimming by myself as I had somehow veered away from the others, which felt slightly weird.
Honestly, overall I feel like I could have done better... can't say I'm unhappy with the swim, but not completely happy either... I didn't finish feeling tired at all (relative terms of course).
What would you do differently?:

Not have mental lapse.
Strong pull with every stroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I could not get the wetsuit off either of my feet. I think this cost me a good 10 seconds.
14/32 AG
Bike
  • 43m 47s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off the ride with a defeatist attitude, as I was prepared to be passed... a lot. But after a couple minutes I tried to change this. (The attitude part, not the passing part. :D)
It was a little hilly. There were a couple of notable (what felt like) long uphills (which we also came down later). I tried to push the downhills, thinking I needed to gain speed somehow/where!
I started to feel a part of my glute during the ride, which got me slightly worried about the hip issue, but I told myself I've felt it like this before and nothing catastrophic has come of it... and I was hoping that would be the case on this day too!
Anyway, the ride was overall pretty uneventful.

Not have mental lapse. I really just need to push hard, but... I generally had little expectations for the bike leg (perhaps that was part of the problem!), so this was fine... There were many parts I feel like I was just riding along, but I'll just say I was saving energy for the run! :-p
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Can't really think of much I'd do differently. The bike rack was higher than I'm used to, so for a short person it meant a little extra oomph in lifting the bike to rack it. :D
9/32 AG
Run
  • 21m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

So the run started with a massive hill. I decided to trudge up it and would "start" the run once I got to the top. From there, it took me a couple minutes to get the legs going. When I looked at my watch at mile marker 1, I had 8:30-8:40 and I was like wow!! I know I was trudging, but still that seemed slow. Then at some point I started encountering side stitches (right side)! At first I tried exhaling at the same time as my right foot came down, not sure if that did anything... then I tried to stretch out my abs, suck in my abs, maybe that helped?! I tried as best I could to keep going steadily. Then finally I just put my fingers on the stitch and kept going... then I got sick of holding it so I let go. It never completely went away, but I was able to continually pick it up towards the end. Nearing the finish line when I saw there was no one coming up from behind me, I coasted to the finish.
I was happy to have a sub-22 run! The downhills surely helped with that, but I'll take it, especially given that incline at the beginning!

Maybe try to pick it up sooner in the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, ate post-race food (Mexican).
10 minute "massage" on the legs with the NormaTec compression boots.
Jogged around and stretched a little.
Biked back the 2.5 miles to where I was staying.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind.

Event comments:

With 1,000+ participants, this was the largest race I've done to date. It was a pretty neat experience, and it was a great venue on the lake and in the park, also great weather! I had never seen so many tri bikes at once, that was a sight. Organizationally, no issues for me.
Also. I went to the awards ceremony at the host hotel, and it turns out there was an EIGHTY-EIGHT (88) year-old man who completed the race!! Wow. Everyone gave him a standing ovation. It was quite touching. Also as I was driving away from the hotel there was a man who I believe was in his 70s who was standing on the side of the road looking for a ride. I thought it was so funny that this old man was trying to hitch a ride! I deemed him safe as he had an AG award around his neck and race numbers on his arm so I dropped him off downtown. :D

Last updated: 2012-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:48 | 825 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/32
Overall: 752/1025
Performance: Average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Lake Champlain, Vermont's most notable lake. 3 major turns.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:47 | 12.5 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/32
Overall: 968/1025
Wind:
Course: Generally hilly. Started off going through town where it felt like there were a lot of turns. Then rode out and back on the beltway/highway, including onto circular exit/entrance ramps (with inclines/declines). A few cracks in the road made it slightly bumpy at times. Then went back into town where we had to ride over 3-4 speed bumps.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:55 | 03.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 415/1025
Performance: Good
Course: Started off with a big incline ~400m long. There were also a couple of obvious short downhills. Loop through town, campground, park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-23 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: USAT Age Group Sprint National Championship

2012-08-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4377157

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: USAT Age Group Sprint National Championship
Samantha congrats on a very good race. I think you did a great job especially with a large and competitive group like that, over a 1000 participants.  You did pretty well with the swim and the bike but you definitely killed it on the run. Great job with your run and man I wish I could run that fast some day!
2012-08-24 3:49 AM

User image

Congratulations, Samantha, on finishing in STELLAR fashion a very large race! I envy your run time so much. I've yet to figure out how to get my wetsuit off my ankles fast, too. Glad you were able to stay with a friend and make a fun weekend out of it. You're a kind soul to pick up the hitchhiker. Overall good job!
2012-09-11 1:06 PM

User image

NH

Great effort on what I know is a tough course.  That is a ridiculous run time, you obviously paced very well.

I didn't know you were doing this race.  You were so close, you should have stopped in!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group Sprint National Championship Rss Feed