United Way of Grayson County
88F / 31C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 44s
Overall Rank = 20/265
Age Group = 45/49
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

A short drive to Sherman, register. This was my backup race since I ended up DNS at Hotter N Hell.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging some short sprints to get the sweat going and walked the first 1/2 mile of the course and back to make a mental note of the 1/4 and 1/2 mile points, hopefully to help me settle into a pace early
Run
  • 22m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

A good run. The old man "Skeeter" I frequently try to pace off was there, we chatted a bit and I stayed with him about 10 meters back until we got back to the down town area and I lost him in the turns, he had put some distance on me. I had wanted even 7 m/m splits but didn't manage that. The uphill start and my focus on 7 minutes may have used a bit of energy for the remaining run. There were some course marking issues but not bad, some maneuvering through oncoming runners where the 10k course folded into the 5. I cut a corner to avoid tangling legs with another runner and "sprinted" the last block to the line
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, I got a PR but still short of my goal of 22 minutes. Maybe a little more respect for the opening hill, but it isn't that much of a hill.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab some water, gave a short interview to a camera man with a local TV station, had some conversation with other runners and a triathlete I recognize then stand in the ever increasing rain for my medal as we worked our way through the single digit age groups and finally into middle age.
I did not finish with the same amount of discomfort and pain I normally do and recovered quicker-I wonder if I failed to dig deep enough and "leave it on the course"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, just a possible pacing error, or maybe I nailed it perfectly and this is the best I have right now

Event comments:

This is the third edition of this race and they are getting better. They picked a good course, I sort of wish I did the 10k, that course looks more interesting. A live musician, some food and beverage on the municipal lawn were all nice touches. It is too bad the rain was ill timed but it is hard to complain about a nice soaking rain in the middle of a drought. The temperature was great but there is no way you can count on that in late August. I noted some issues with corner monitors and some confusion where the routes overlap. There was one water table actually in the street at the final corner, I ended up running behind it. I think this was a possible safety problem and not well thought out. I will email the RD about this stuff though.

Last updated: 2012-08-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:44 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 20/265
Performance: Good
1-7:01 2-7:14 3-7:47 .1-:40
Course: An out and back, uphill start, down hill finish. The race was chip timed and chip scored for "safety" this reduced the intensity and crowd on the start line but made it a little harder to guess where you were in relation to competitors.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes