Age Group Rank = 7/7
Event warmup:

None, this swim was going to be long enough
Swim
  • 1h 53m 49s
  • 5468 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

All of the racers for the 1.2, 2.4, and 3.1 mile swims went off as one big group, making for some contact in the first stretch, but nothing bad.

Decided to go without a wetsuit, for several probably not very good reasons: None of the other 32 5K swimmers were wearing one, I worried about shoulder fatigue with this distance since I still haven't gotten a sleeveless suit, and the water was 77 degrees so I worried about overheating at this distance. By the end of the swim, I was wishing I had used the suit. It probably would have saved me 10 minutes, and I would have won 1st (and only) place in the 5K wetsuit division!

Started off at an easy pace that at first I felt like I could keep up all day. By the time I reached the first turn buoy I found I was having some difficulty with concentration. Tried to focus on form and staying fluid with the stroke/cadence.

Finished the first 1.2 miles in a decent 37:31, which would have scored me 19th out of 37 in the 1.2 mile non-wetsuit division, and 2/2 in my age group.

Headed out on the second 1.2 mile lap after a brief goggle adjustment. Things started coming undone here. Got bored, started wondering if I could swim-sleep, sang songs to myself, asked a kayaker if she was bored yet (she smiled), and despaired as other swimmers passed by. The last third of this lap I began having severe upper body fatigue, and what little form I have was disintegrating. So much for "all day pace", or perhaps it was right to call it that, as I was starting to think it would take me all day to finish. Finally stumbled my way up the feet bruising rocky shore around the cones to record my 2.4 mile split, and said to the race official there "You really expect me to head back out there?" (He smiled.)

2nd 1.2 mile mile split in a much less respectable 43:52, for a 2.4 mile time of 1:21:24. Would have put me 21/23 overall in the 2.4 mile non-wetsuit division and 3/3 age group.

Back in the water, with my body not quite believing that my brain had made that choice. After another goggle adjustment, back to "swimming", but I'm not sure it could be called that at that point. At first, I had a surge of energy, thinking "I'm almost done!". That didn't last long. Of course, it didn't help that at that point it was the furthest I'd ever swam nonstop. Adding insult to fatigue, there was now considerable chop, and rain had begun to pour down. For the first near-half mile of this final lap, I was convinced I was in DFL. The kayak that was riding five feet behind me would seem to confirm that. Then I spotted another swimmer still heading out while I was on my way back in, and shortly after, another one. At that point, I was having problems convincing myself that I was actually making forward progress. At that point, I think the guy guiding the kayak was having problems convincing himself I was making forward progress. Finally crossed the finish mat.

Last 0.7 mile split was 32:25. Yikes.

Not surprisingly given my run training and cardiovascular fitness, I wasn't sucking-wind-tired at all. Also not surprisingly given my lack of swim training, my arms (shoulders and forearms especially) and back were sore/tight.

What would you do differently?:

Swim more, or pick one of the shorter distances.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, soda, Chex Mix, and cookies. Milled about a bit before getting sick of the rain. Home to have a nice lunch to fuel up for planned run later in the day.

Event comments:

Organizers did a nice job, would definitely consider going to Swim the Bridge again.

Last updated: 2012-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:53:49 | 5468 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 31/33
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tyr Jammers
Course: Two 1.2 mile laps, followed by a final 0.7 mile loop around one of the outgoing buoys. Started out smooth with little chop, by the end it was raining and there was significant chop and boat wake waves.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?