General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Maple Grove, Minnesota
United States
Dare to Dream Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 59s
Overall Rank = 108/364
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 AM and got up and made eggs and toast with jelly for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Got to transition at 5:45 after parking and walking the bikes the 1/4 mile from the elementary school.
Event warmup:

Did a quick mile on the bike to check the gearing and make sure everything was operating right. After the race announcement I swam a 200 or so to make sure the wet-suit was fitting right.
Swim
  • 29m 49s
  • 1586 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out on the swim just trying to relax and not push too hard - felt really good on form but the right turns really threw off my navigation
What would you do differently?:

Now that I have completed the distance I know that I can push harder on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I really lucked out with the location of our wave - inside the second row. It made it so much easier to find my bike and get out to the bike in/out.

need to figure out how to deal with the timing chip - I think I'll try using an old sport watch around my ankle on the next wetsuit swim.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 34s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't have the crowds riding three abreast that we had at Buffalo but we didn't have the free drafting either.

Going into the race I was worried about pushing too hard on the bike - I might have worried too much and gone out too slowly.

I should have taken more water at the last bottle exchange? I didn't feel dehydrated so I'm not sure on this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Had trouble with the bike next to me encroaching on my space - need to work on pushing out of the way when they do that.

Need to stick to my plan
Run
  • 48m 19s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

really tried to stay within my pace guidelines today - did pretty well - I lost focus on the second lap - part of that was due to the nearly continuous climb from mile 3 to 4 - part was due to fatigue.

If I had concentrated better on keeping my pace up instead of letting my stride get long I think I would have been better off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the beach and went for a swim - it's my favorite part of a Triathlon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being new to the distance and not knowing how my body would respond I took it easier than I needed to at times.

Event comments:

This is a very well run race - volunteers are plentiful and enthusiastic. The course is pleasantly full of competitors - you aren't ever alone but I never felt hemmed in.
The only caveat I would have is that there aren't enough life guards on the swim - Many fewer than Buffalo and less than Minneman with 1/5 the people. There is no way that they could effectively watch that many people for someone in trouble.

Last updated: 2012-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:49 | 1586 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/5
Overall: 172/364
Performance: Below average
Garmin had the course at 1.01 but that included some running in transition and my wandering around the lake
Suit: Profile Design Bionic 2
Course: Clockwise Bouys in three segments (upside down triangle)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:34 | 26 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/5
Overall: 110/364
19.4 22.9 20.0 21.7 20.3
Wind: Some
Course: The roads were pretty good The first split was low due to a nearly constant climb for the first two miles and the patch of gravel before Bass lake road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:19 | 06.2 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/5
Overall: 102/364
7:40 7:44 7:52 8:06 8:02 7:54 (6:06 sprint to the finish)
Course: Nice course - would have been pretty warm if the sun was out but with clouds and light rain for the last two miles it was pretty pleasant. The spectators were great and made you want to keep pushing. Got to run with some fun people as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-25 7:26 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed