USA Productions
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 59s
Overall Rank = 18/471
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/47
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at my fathers cabin the night before this race so I did packet pick up on the way up Saturday. The trip down the hill only took 40 min. As usual I didn't sleep much.
Event warmup:

one mile run followed by getting in the water 15 min. before my wave and getting acclimated to the cold. swam about three hundred yards then checked out the swim exit. large underwater rocks at the exit. Big enough to break a toe on or twist an ankle, mental note tread lightly on the way out of the water.
Swim
  • 24m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tried very hard to build into the swim, and the first three hundred felt great, then something horrible happened. I started getting boxed in and bumped. Now this is nothing new, happens almost every race but I started feeling disoriented, kinda dizzy. I was not sure what to do. I thought about getting my head out of the water and doing breast or side stroke. Well I eased up a little and thought about being in the pool focusing on form and in no time I had my head straight and was back in the game. From that point on all went well, sighting was a little tough on the way out due to the sun coming up and we were swimming right at it. This turned out to be a personal best at this distance by :20 sec. As I approached the shore I remembered to tread lightly due to the large rocks.
What would you do differently?:

Still not sure about the problem I had,I didn't panic and knew in my heart it would not last. Going to a happy place was the right call. My swim speed is improving but still a weakness. I will continue swimming at the collage this winter and spring.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I picked a lousy spot in transition. You want to be as close to the middle as possible. Wetsuit got stuck on ankles, then as I preformed my running mount I road off the path and into the dirt. Not so graceful looking. Still fourth fastest

Pick a better spot in transition and maybe do a step-over mount due to the narrow path
Bike
  • 1h 02m 36s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 23.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing too exciting here. My stomach which had given me problems the last couple of races was good from the start so I started hydrating quickly. I passed a ton of the younger age groupers, had to yell at two of them for blocking or riding too far to the left. I was told there was as described a "false flat" near the midway point. This turned out to be a significant hill. The ride back into town was kinda lonely and uneventful.

My bike pacing is real good. I pushed about as hard as I could to still have a good run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Fastest T2 time
Run
  • 40m 28s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were firing from the the start. passed one guy right out of transition then I passed groups of two or three younger age groupers at every mile marker. I never caught one person from my age group and this started to concern me. I was thinking either I'm getting smoked here or I'm in first. All went well no cramps no pains pace stayed steady. The finishing 200 yards are interesting, You run through a grove with a canopy of trees. The ground is exposed river rock so you need to watch your footing and for low hanging branches at the same time, then it opens up and your at the finish line.

Very solid run for me. The next closest guy in my age group was 3:51 back
Post race
Warm down:

I had a bit of a coughing episode as I was still getting over an illness, then got some fruit and a burrito.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Personal best at this distance by 3:56 Average Heart rate for the race 163, peak 172

Event comments:

Being this is the last scheduled triathlon race for the year, I will sum it all up, This year kicked ass. Three age group first place finishes, one second place and seventh at VineMan. I won the age group points championship with USA productions which got me a cool $200.00 bucks and at this point I'm ranked 61st in the nation with All American Honers.

Last updated: 2011-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/47
Overall: 0/471
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue seventy reaction full
Course: rectangular, counter clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:02:36 | 24.9 miles | 23.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/47
Overall: 0/471
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: narrow path out of the park,city streets to rural farmland with two out and backs
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good