Team Mossman Triathlon Club
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 31s
Overall Rank = 105/300
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/24
Pre-race routine:

Nothing out of the ordinary except for realizing I forgot my bike shoes. How? I have no idea. A couple of pathetic efforts to see what I could do to get my shoes to come to the race went unrewarded, and I decided to just do it in my running shoes. Boo hoo.
Event warmup:

Mile run, tried to get my mind off forgetting my bike shoes. Swam ~200m to get a feel for the current and waves, nothing special.
Swim
  • 27m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My sighting was horrible on the first buoy and the turn into the second, which added a good 200 meters to the swim according to the watch. I was swimming really well actually, and when I finally got back to the group I was easily passing people from the waves ahead of me. Granted, those were the BOP swimmers from the waves in front. Tough to practice sighting in these conditions as it's not safe to swim alone with a current like that.
What would you do differently?:

As much as I dislike it, I think the solution to sighting is to swim closer to the group. On the occasions when I do, I naturally slip to the FOP in the first 200 meters, so I don't know what my issue is. I've become a solid FOMOP swimmer, which is all I really aspire to right now. As the season draws to a close, I'm enormously happy with my swimming results.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Since I forgot my shoes, I took the extra time to make sure I had all the sand off and my socks were nice and comfy. Forgot to turn on the Garmin.

I think it's obvious, not forget my shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Man, not having the ability to use the back of my pedal stroke, to stand up and hammer on corners, and to get super low during gusts was evident. I've only had one A-ride race this year which considering how strong I can be on the bike is disappointing. 60/300 is pretty good considering I didn't have shoes, but I really wish I had them on so I could go crush it. Hard to be too disappointed though.

wear bike shoes
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I took a little time here to put some extra water and nutrition drink on. I was determined to have a comfortable run.

nothing
Run
  • 52m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to have a pain free transition and to hold a steady aerobic pace the whole time, which is exactly what I did. I wanted this experience in my back pocket as a base line, and I think it was a smart move. I have another race in 2 weeks that I can push harder on because I know exactly where I'll be on a comfortable, 70% effort. I'm very happy with the gains I've made running, and although 8:30s is slow to a lot of people, 6.2 miles of it is good for me. I can and have done better, but not in an Oly.

Nothing. This was exactly how I wanted to run it, and I felt great.
Post race
Warm down:

They gave us cold towels (nice!) and had a couple of delicious fresh plums as I waited for my buddies to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike shoes, but that's it. Very happy with the result. My target time was 2:30, and that was WITH shoes, so to hit 2:32 was a victory.

Event comments:

Hard to do things much better than Team Mossman does them in terms of venue choice, organization, and course support. It's not flashy, there's no post race hoopla, but that's what the TriRock and Rev3s are for if you want that sort of thing. This is pure and simple triathlon, the best kind.

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 149/300
Performance: Average
I was swimming faster than the pure math, as poor sighting added a fair amount of distance to my swim. My watch said it was more like 1:35 average pace and that I swam closer to 1800 yards.
Suit: yep
Course: Supposed to be a diamond, but didn't look that way - more like trapezoid. The current was fairly strong, and we went against it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:17 | 24.85 miles | 21.56 mile/hr
Overall: 60/300
Wind: Some
Course: Flat and fast
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:38 | 06.21 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 0/300
Course: Flat, two loops right on the sea wall. Gorgeous.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes