REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 11s
Overall Rank = 131/300
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

EARLY!! Woke up at 3:45 am, drove to OOB, and set up transition (bike was there from night before). Had to pump up the tires, and was a bit rushed to get set up before transition closed at 6:10 am. Drank a lemonade UCAN at 6 am to pre-fuel for the race. Also, drank a coconut water to hydrate while I was setting up.
Event warmup:

No run or bike warm-up (there simply wasn't time before transition closed, and I can't imagine getting up any earlier). I did about a 1/3 mile swim to warm-up.
Swim
  • 26m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Coming out of the water, I was first in my division (a first). Generally, this was a good swim for me. I felt I was swimming strong, without leaving too much on the table, but also not too hard to wear me out. When I came out of the water, I didn't feel drained and was easily able to get into the run to transition without the wobbly, I need to catch my breath feeling.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

Transition include a long run (1/3 mile) from the beach up to the transition area, hence the long T1 time. Everything else went pretty smoothly, although I definitely lost about 30 seconds putting on my socks.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 19s
  • 25.12 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Somewhat surprising to me, I came off the bike still in first place in my division. The bike felt good for the whole ride. I got a bit frustrated on a couple of the downhills when I would get passed by some riders, but then not want to "fall back" and lose momentum on the downhill. I had a good, quick dismount (making up for my slow mount).

Nothing. I think my mounts will continue to feel slow until I can learn how to do the flying mount thing, which I guess will mean starting off with my shoes on the pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

We had these very specific spots we were supposed to put our bikes, and someone had grabbed mine. This threw me for a few seconds as I deliberated moving his/hers over, but ultimately just threw my bike in the middle and took off! I was pretty fast getting my running shoes on at that point, and then I was off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 00m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a good first half out to the turn-around (avg'd a 9:26 pace, at which point I was STILL in 1st plan in my division), and my plan was to negative split the run. However, my legs had other ideas, which was that they wanted to be done. The second half, each mile got progressively slower as my legs started to shut down.

Not exactly sure, but what I would like to do is to have enough left in my legs to finish the second half of the run strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess my legs, and getting tired on the second half of the run. Plus, being slow.

Event comments:

Finished third in my division (my first podium finish!). Very excited about this, got some good swag to boot (a second medal, a case of energy gel chews, and a FuelBelt water bottle belt). As to my race, I actually met pretty much all my personal goals: I finished in under 3 hours (and broke through 2:50), and I felt like I had put it all out on the course. I wanted to finish the run in under 1 hour, but I only missed that by 10 seconds, so pretty damn close. The real surprise was my ranking -- I never entertained a podium finish, much less leading the pack from the gun through to the run turn-around. Very happy with this result!

I do have one complaint about the race, though. The post-race food options pretty much sucked. When I finished at about 10:15 am, there was nothing set up (and keep in mind that there were people who would have finished well before me, too). No bananas, no bagels, nothing. At around 11 am, there were some pre-made sandwiches put out, but that was it. There was a grill stand selling burgers and such, but that didn't open up until 11:30, and it was cash only. The problem was that they were trying to sell the "lobster boil" for like $28, but even that didn't start until after 11:30, and, you know, some people don't like/eat lobster. I've seen much better food options at pretty much every other race I done, including little rinky-dink local 5Ks. This was disappointing.

Last updated: 2012-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 63/300
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle. Straight out about a quarter mile, then about a half mile north along the shore, and then back in to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:19 | 25.12 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/300
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, generally pretty flat with a couple of rolling hills in the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, generally flat with a couple of small sections of easy climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes