United States
Firm Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 55s
Overall Rank = 28/135
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon, so nerves got the best of me during the night and kept me from sleeping. I went to bed early (~9:30) and woke up at around 3:15am (I had set the alarm for 5:00). I tossed and turned until about 4:30 when I decided to finally get up and get ready. I had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee for breakfast, relaxed on the couch for a little while, I had packed the car the night before so I didn't have to worry about that. I made it to the race site 15 minutes before registration opened. Overall, I'm happy with how my morning went (except for the not sleeping part). I wasn't rushed at all, and was able to relax and get settled in before it got too crowded.
Event warmup:

After setting up my transition area, I got a massage followed by a light jog, and a swim. I'm not sure of the distances of my warm-ups but I probably ran about 3/4 mi and swam 200-300 yds. Though it's probably not part of my warmup, I ate a banana about 30 minutes before the race started.
Swim
  • 14m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I had done some open water swimming in my training, but apparently not enough. My focus during training had been on getting my strength and form to a point where I could complete the swim with no problems. Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time practicing sighting. I ended up swimming alot more breaststroke than I wanted to (my original plan was to do freestyle for the entire swim) just so I could stay on course.

Navigation problems aside, I did the swim in a much faster time than I thought I would. Having never done an OWS in a race (or any kind of group) setting I didn't know what to expect. Thankfully, it was not the melee that some have experienced during the swim.

My goal, coming into the race, was to complete the swim in about 20 minutes. I'm beyond happy with my sub 15 min swim!!
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need to do alot of work on sighting.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I hadn't done too much work on transitions during my training, and that is another area that could use significant improvement. I am not able to do a flying mount, nor am I too comfortable with putting my feet in the shoes and fastening them while riding. I have been working on the flying mount, but I wasn't ready to try it during the race, as I didn't want to fall on my face. I also think that triathlon shoes, rather than my regular road shoes would have reduced my transition time.

I need to perfect, or at least dramatically improve, my flying mount. I am also thinking about investing in triathlon shoes for my next race. Definitely need to work more on transitions.
Bike
  • 37m 17s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Usually, my training rides will max out at an average of 18 mph over this distance, so when I checked my bike computer at the end and saw an average of over 19 mph, I was stunned!

The only issue I had was that my right calf started cramping up about 4 miles into the ride. I drank more water than I would typically drink on a ride of this length, hoping that my cramps were due to dehydration. Unfortunately, my calf continued to bother me throught the rest of the race.

Even though I went pretty fast, for me, I would like to go faster. I'm hoping to break into the 20 mph zone soon.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Same as with T1 and the flying mount, I cannot do a flying dismount. The transition went pretty smooth, however I think that speed laces would have helped immensely. Also, I wore my bike gloves on the bike portion though I don't think I really needed them. More a habit than anything...I'm sure that by foregoing the gloves I could save a few seconds in both T1 and T2.

For my next race, I will use speed laces and probably won't wear bike gloves.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I had done brick workouts in my training leading up to the race so I knew what to expect, for the most part. Unfortunately, the cramp I had in my calf on the bike portion continued throughout the run.

My PR for a stand-alone 5K is 25:09, so I feel pretty good, and impressed with myself, about the 25:37 on this.

I'm pretty pleased with my run performance. I do have a goal of completing a sub 25 minute 5K by the end of October, so hopefully at my next tri my run time will be faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I had a slice of watermelon, and a bottle of gatorade. I was pretty spent after finishing, so I just sat in the grass while my 2 1/2 year old son told me how I was "all sweaty" repeatedly. It was pretty cute! Then my wife, son and I walked back to the finishing stretch to cheer the other finishers on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, I am extremely proud of how well I did in the race. I did not do much speed work during my training, so for the next race I will focus on intervals (along with transitions and OWS sighting).

Event comments:

I still can't believe how much fun this was! I was smiling (even almost giggling at times) throughout a large portion of the race. This was a great community event! The support from the volunteers, spectators and even the fellow racers was amazing! What a great group of people the triathlon community is.

I can't wait to sign up for my next race!

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:23 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 32/135
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: