General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 12s
Overall Rank = 64/184
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night just east of Columbus and left at 6am, budgeting an hour to arrive. This was the most crowded race I've experienced this summer with tremendous lines to get race packets and chips an hour before start and the announcer already calling Girls Tri competitors to the beach. Combined with some good old pre-race GI distress, this was my first genuinely stressful arrival/registration/setup experience.
Event warmup:

Ate a half Clif bar on a queasy stomach and did some DROMs on the beach, waiting for my heat to start
Swim
  • 24m 29s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

Terrible swim. Water in the goggles from the start and sun glare made sighting the first buoy very difficult, and it all went downhill from there
What would you do differently?:

Time for new goggles. I tried to limp my socket-rockets along with a new nose-strap but I guess I'll be spending the $20 on a new pair.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

After registering, the transition area was already a complete CF and there was no room left at the inn in any row, let alone the row I was assigned to. I ended up against the fence toward the exit gate, which, along with my new Performance Enhancing Bucket (tm) gave me plenty of room to get the bike shorts, socks, and shoes on. Best T1 yet, very happy.

Show up to the race earlier! Sheesh.
Bike
  • 47m 40s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was changed just before the race due to some road construction, and by my cyclometer it was more than a mile longer than the 21k advertised. Easy rollers throughout, with an incline so gradual you didn't really notice until you were bombing downhill in a big gear on the way back. A relatively fast course.

Pretty satisfied with this. I've become gunshy about pushing the bike after a particularly ugly 5k in a sprint tri earlier this summer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

This is the first time I attempted to remove at least one foot while rolling towards transition with my shoes clipped into the pedals (I have regular cycling shoes with a ratcheting strap), and it worked out pretty well. The rest of the transition went smoothly, aided by my Performance Enhancing Bucket

Might try cycling sockless next time
Run
  • 24m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Fastest 5k yet on a quick course without any serious hills. My overall goal in a sprint tri is a strong run, and this one felt very good. Started out with 7:30 splits but began to run out of gas toward the end.

Nothing. But I'd always like to run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Nice cold bottle of water at the finish, but nothing available to drink after that except the water in my car. Had a couple of orange slices and did my stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

An ugly, ugly swim was the difference between 4th and 3rd in my AG. But I managed a good bike ride and an excellent run (for me) after fighting a week-long cold and I'm more than satisfied.

Event comments:

HFP generally runs a tight ship - it seemed as though there were way more athletes than they were prepared to handle. If this race is an indication of how it goes every year, I would not recommend as a first-time experience. For repeat offenders like me, it's a nice, fast, slightly longer-than-average course. Just be sure to show up early.

Last updated: 2012-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:29 | 1000 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 82/184
Performance: Below average
Suit: Jammers
Course: Out and back rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:40 | 14.5 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 78/184
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back rolling course with a gradual incline on the "out" portion
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:07 | 03.11 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 49/184
Course: Out and back on a paved bike trail with a few small inclines but little shade
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 4:52 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

2012-08-27 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4383004

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

I agree was the most disorganized HFP race I have ever been to - the lines were CRAZY!

I got there at 545am and got an end spot, trust me it was really empty then.

2012-09-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4383180

Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

The real issue is that too many distance races were crammed into the same day.  Specifically, the girls-tri-to really delayed things.  There were probably close to 250 women and they started them in a time trial format.  It took forever for them to clear the swim course.  If that specific race was moved to Saturday, then it probably would have alleviated much of the long line and late start issues.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed