BuDu Racing
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 1s
Overall Rank = 130/302
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

5:10am wake-up. Stayed at a friend's house about 10 minutes from the race site. Ate a Luna bar and stopped for coffee on the way in. Arrived about 6am - the racking was open format, so John and I put our stuff right next to each other. It was REALLY cold! Spent a few minutes milling around before heading to the beach to get suited up. My parents came to watch me race - so fun to have them there. Did I mention it was really cold out?! I put my wetsuit on and then put my sweats and sweatshirt back on. Feet were totally numb.
Event warmup:

Got in the water about 7am. It was so lovely and warm! Swam 100m or so, felt good.
Swim
  • 08m 9s
  • 437 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

My wave was the largest with my age group plus a couple others (all women, ages 25-50!). It was CROWDED. I had a great start and then got all bunched and crunched up at the first buoy. Really messed up my breathing. I swung a little wide off the first buoy, but found open water where I could swim my comfy pace. Swam good and hard into the beach because I could not see anything looking right into the sun and there were a lot of lake weeds which gross me out and I really wanted out of there!
What would you do differently?:

More swimming to help my endurance, especially when I get all flustered in a bigger group.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

The ladies racked next to me were in a relay and their runner was in the transition pen helping get them out of their wetsuits and was so obnoxiously in the way of everyone around us. My husband went to the race director about it. How annoying. Other than that, this was a good transition for me.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 47m 8s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

My hands were so cold that I couldn't hold onto my water bottle and therefore drank almost nothing the whole ride. That was not good. My pace was pretty good, I passed quite a few people.

Wear my full-finger gloves to help with the freezing hands. I had no idea I would have such problems!
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Go-go gadget hands! Thank goodness I put in my lock-tite laces because it took two tries to get my feet even into my shoes as I could not feel my hands or my feet. I would have been running with untied shoes because there is no way I could have tied my shoelaces. I couldn't even squeeze my race belt clip open, I just ran out of the transition area with it around my arm. Same went for getting my ponytail though my hat - couldn't do that for about 100m either. Sheesh.

Have a space heater! Ha! This was a pretty speed transition considering how much trouble I was having.
Run
  • 28m 6s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet finally started thawing within a half mile of the run, which was a really strange sensation. I felt like my footbeds were in upside down in my shoes. I was also getting really sharp ankle pain. Three days later, I still have a lot of pain in my right arch. Not sure what happened. I really felt like I was flying during this run, but it was actually the slowest run I have done in a tri! Argh! Wish I could have had more fluids on the bike - I was soopo thirsty by the end of this run.

Take a little more time in transition to get my shoes situated correctly. Worried I hurt my foot by rushing and being totally numb.
Post race
Warm down:

Husband, parents, and friend John were there to see me finish. John had come in about 10 minutes earlier. Gathered everything up and headed out to brunch at Issaquah Cafe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again the cold. Friend told me to put hand warmers in my bike shoes before the swim and then put them in my tri jersey pockets for the bike leg to help keep my core warmer. Maybe take my mountain bike full-finger gloves too. Non-functioning hands were so awkward!
Wack-o training schedule in July and August. Over scheduled my summer and was trying to train during vacations and without a lot of intensity. Promised myself I would work on my running and even that didn't happen. Next year...

Event comments:

No relay team members in the bike pen who are not biking please!

Last updated: 2012-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:09 | 437 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/302
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise three-sided rectangle. Two big orange buoys to sight off, but came right into the sun on the way in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:08 | 14.2 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Out and back on city streets. I was so terribly cold for almost the whole ride. Course is fairly hilly, not really any truly flat sections. Suits my riding style well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:06 | 03.2 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Course: Trail run through Lake Sam park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes